Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Temperature not consistent throughout pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Temperature not consistent throughout pool

Greetings,
    I have a Coleman 16x48 Power Steel pool. I installed a skimmer in it a few weeks ago with tips from this site.
    It does a nice job of keeping the surface clear. However I'm having an issue and I had this last year before the skimmer.
    The water on the first foot or so is warm,however below that is is a lot cooler. I used a solar cover this year and it still has
    the issue,I even just bought one of those Intex solar mats that the return water runs through. I just checked the floating
    thermometer,it is about 86 deg. But I stick my arm in and once past that upper foot of water it is a lot cooler. The pool is in direct
    Sunlight . Any ideas ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Temperature not consistent throughout pool

With a single return in the pool, you're going to be trading between surface skimming and deeper mixing. If you aim the return along the surface, you'll get great skimming. If you aim in the same direction but more downward, you'll get better mixing with the deeper water, but the skimming will not be as good. I would tweak the return to run a little more below the surface or when you put the cover on, unscrew the return eyeball about 1/8 of a turn so it aims slightly downward to get better deep circulation.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't think this is abnormal. Direct your returns down. That may help get the surface water to the bottom.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

4. Back To Top    #4

You have a thermocline. I have two thermometers, one at the surface and one on the bottom. When my wife wants to know the water temp, I report both readings, just for giggles. Yes perfectly normal and the posters above have hit the nail on the head.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

5. Back To Top    #5

Return is pointing down,I will see how it is tomorrow

6. Back To Top    #6

Completely normal.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter