CYA Levels

Jun 21, 2015
Triadelphia, WV
Is there a way other than draining thousands of gallons of water from my pool to lower my CYA? My water is very clear but I have never been able to get my CYA levels in range. I don't go through an abnormal amount of chlorine so I don't know if I should be too concerned or if my testing is flawed. All of my other readings are within range. My CYA is the only thing that I have trouble getting within limits. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Any other way to lower CYA? .... some areas reverse osmosis perhaps, but for most of us ... no. Only water exchange. Some things we might ask to try and help you further:
- What is your CYA and other levels?
- How are you testing your CYA?
- Which test kit?
- Have you remove any stabilizer-filled products that may be increasing CYA (i.e. chlorine tabs, bags of shock, etc)?

If you have any other questions, please ask. Nice to have you with us.

The short answer to your question is no.

As Pat alludes to, reverse osmosis for pools is available in highly concentrated "sun belt" areas that have problems with calcium rich water. Think Arizona and So. California. I doubt anyone anywhere near WV has a Pool RO truck....

Another company has been pushing a new product that "eats" CYA with bacteria. Multiple members here have tried it with less than stellar results.

You say you "don't go through an abnormal amount of chlorine", but what is your chlorine source?

Testing with a Taylor 2006 Kit. Of course I just went out to test it again and I was out of chemical R-0013!!! Currently my levels are:

FC: 6.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.4
TA: 100
CH: 130

I currently have a Frogger system installed running a BAC PAC but am wanting to stop all of the frogger packs and go with the TFP method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.