Just bought a real test kit

seedlings

Jul 5, 2016
Saint Joseph, MO
Hello from MO! I appreciate this site, and have visited several times over the years to get pointers. I've officially stopped "winging it" with test strips and bought a real Taylor k2006 fas-dpd while the pool is completely draining. I know the water can recover in a week or so by following guides here, but the family is impatient. This last month the pool has been perfect clear until a week ago when some cousins swam. After that she went cloudy to green in a couple of days. I elevated shock with 12.5% I get from a buddy's business, up over 10% FC, and that usually clears quick. Not this time though. Been over 10ppm for 5 days and green. I tried some metal product, in case it happened to be copper, but no. Thankfully the last few days have been in the 60s.

But, with 90s pressing back, we want clear water, hence the refill. Now I realize that knowing exact CYA and exact FC is important. So hopefully clear waters from here out.

I also cleaned the sand filter out per the directions and videos here. I have some cellulose fibers now too.

Once she's drained, I'll get the last bit with a shop vac, scrub and clean, then start refilling.

-CHAD

Re: Just bought a real treat kit

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Okay, so new water means the following:
- Add CYA. Summer's here, so I would target a CYA of about 50 for adequate FC protection.
- FC on day one of fill should be about 3 ppm. Once the stabilizer is dissolved by day 2, increase FC to the 5-7 range; never below 4
- PH adjusted between 7.5-7.8

That should get you going. Enjoy!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Okay, so new water means the following:
- Add CYA. Summer's here, so I would target a CYA of about 50 for adequate FC protection.
- FC on day one of fill should be about 3 ppm. Once the stabilizer is dissolved by day 2, increase FC to the 5-7 range; never below 4
- PH adjusted between 7.5-7.8

That should get you going. Enjoy!

Thank you. Since the official test kit won't be here for 3 days, I only have test strips to work with for CYA and FC.

CHAD

With new water, the good thing is your new water won't have any CYA, so you are going from zero to "50". You can use the Poolmath calculator (link below) to help you with that. Once the stabilizer is in, you can consider it done & at your target. Maintaining your FC of 5-7 will be a bit of a wag, but do the best you can. Again, the calculator will help. You can expect to lose about 3-4 ppm of FC each day, so judge accordingly when you add each evening. If you have any of the FC drop-test reagents from a local test kit that would be better than the test strips.

20160708_193515.jpg
K2006 kit arrived.
Last night's test results:

FC 10ppm
CYA 35
CC 1ppm
PH 7.4
TA 150
CH 130

This morning's results in better light:
FC 9.5
CC 0
CYA 40
PH 7.4

We didn't swim yesterday (at the lake), and the water is not clear, and has little pockets of debris in the liner wrinkles. I vacuumed and brushed last night. I have about 4 gallons of 12.5% chlorine on hand, but I'd like to use up the remaining HTH trichlor tabs if possible.

So, where do I go from here to get this pool trouble free?

**Signature edited for accurate info
CHAD

So if I am understanding TFP system, I need to stop using the tablets NOW at CYA of 40, and start using bleach only. ALWAYS keep FC above 4, and up to 9. Shock is 22, so that means I need to add more than that amount so it stays above 22 while shocking/slamming. I will also watch CC to go above 1, and slam at that point?

If I measure FC again after sunset, then I will know how much is lost to sun each day?

CHAD

After the family swimming all day:
FC 7
CC .5
PH 7.4

So we lose maybe 3 ppm FC through the day. Pump is running continuously.

Then I wanted to start SLAM to get the pool clear. I have 12.5% chlorine from a friend who uses the pool shock for cleaning siding and roofs at his business. He told me this was near the end of his 55gal barrel, and might not be full 12.5% any more. Remember this.

So I get on poolcalc to see how much chlorine to add to get to shock, and I use 10% instead of 12.5% (because of what my buddy said). So after all that, I ended up overshooting by 10ppm. I think the chlorine is still full strength.

So, the FC is now 26.5!!! CC 0.5 and CYA 40. I will check again in the morning to see what changes. How bad is it to have FC this high?

CHAD

Hi Chad. Sorry I missed some of your posts, I've been away too. :swim: But the elevated FC will come down soon and won't hurt anything as long as you don't leave it up there for no reason. Actually, if your CYA is still 40, the SLAM level for that CYA is an FC of 16, so you're not too far off the mark.

Now a few days ago you mentioned draining and refilling, so I thought your water would be good. But then a couple days ago you mentioned it was cloudy already and needed to SLAM, is that right? Is that still the case? Seems odd for water to get cloudy so fast. after a new fill.

Here are a set of links I share with all new TFP pool owners:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Once you are done with your SLAM you will be all set up to keep your pool looking like a jewel :sun:

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support