Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Bought A House With A Pool...Where to Begin?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just Bought A House With A Pool...Where to Begin?

So I just bought a house with an above ground pool. When we looked at the place back in May, it was full of green water. Everything else looked to be in great shape. Since I have no idea if the owners have done anything with it in the time since then, I'm going to assume it's still green...so...where do I begin? Not with only getting the water back to blue, but...how do I run a pool? There's a pump...or filter...or...something I have to turn on, right? How often? Etc.

Just not sure where to begin, but any advice you guys can offer I'll gladly take. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just Bought A House With A Pool...Where to Begin?

Hello and welcome to TFP! Here's your starter checklist:
    - Order the proper test kit (TF-100 XL Option with Speed Stir) or Taylor K-2006C (Link below); everything you do hinges on the results from one of those tests
    - Inspect your equipment; ask questions or post pics about what you are not sure of
    - Try a quick function check to see if the pump and everything works
    - Manually scoop any debris out of the water until you get your proper test kit.

We can't overemphasize enough the test kit. Post a full set of numbers and we can get you going. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I will do all those things listed and then post back when we close on the 8th. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome!

Please update your signature with your pool details.

Please put the following information in your signature.

• The size of your pool in gallons
    • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
    • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
    • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

If you need help figuring out your equipment, just post pics! Non-members are limited in the size/amount of photos, so becoming a member (tax deductible as TFP is a non-profit) removes this restriction. You can also post photos using photobucket and link them in your post.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

5. Back To Top    #5

I will do that, but it will probably have to wait until the 8th since we still have to close on it, but as soon as I do, I'll get on it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Congrats on the house and pool! Don't wait, go ahead and order the test kit. Then you'll have it in hand ready to kick the green out of that pool! Welcome!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Understood... my closings have always allowed for a final walk-through with your real estate agent a day before closing. Not sure if your closing will allow this, but it is a opportunity to make sure nothing has changed/been removed since you last inspected the house.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    2017 replaster/retile

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, we are doing that on Thursday. I'll take lots of pictures and see if I can discern any of that info from the photos. I'm sure I'll need all your help!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush3pwood View Post
    Yes, we are doing that on Thursday. I'll take lots of pictures and see if I can discern any of that info from the photos. I'm sure I'll need all your help!
    Wishing you have an uneventful closing I bought a foreclosure and my pool was in terrible shape. The folks on this website should help you navigate any issues that come up and we are great at clearing swamps
    Karen
    2017 replaster/retile

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks! Final walk through tonight. I'll post back with photos and we'll see what's what. I'm hoping to see blue water...but I'm also a realist.

Thanks for everyone's willingness to help. Fantastic community here!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Good luck!
    Karen
    2017 replaster/retile

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, here are the pictures.

13. Back To Top    #13

I turned everything on and it seems to all be in working order.

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice! Did you get a test kit yet? Post a set of numbers so we can help you get started!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

15. Back To Top    #15

It's incoming. The only bad thing...I leave for vacation tomorrow! I guess I'll just have to wait until I get back.

16. Back To Top    #16

I figure, at the very least, I can start skimming the pool. Seems like a good place to start.

17. Back To Top    #17

did the pressure reading change on the gauge when you turn the pump off? If it didnt you need a new gauge

dont worry about the vacation, better now than part way through cleaning up your pool
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Oh no! You're correct. The pressure gauge doesn't move. Where can I get a replacement? Does it have to be a specific one?

19. Back To Top    #19

You can get a good, filled one here:

TFTestkits.net

This is also the place you can get your test kit. I suggest you get the TF-100 XL as you wll need all of the extra regents to get your pool clear.

We will be here to help you when you are ready!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    You can get a good, filled one here:

TFTestkits.net

This is also the place you can get your test kit. I suggest you get the TF-100 XL as you wll need all of the extra regents to get your pool clear.

We will be here to help you when you are ready!

Kim
    Aw man, I already ordered my test kit. Didn't know I needed the XL, I only got the TF-100. What's the difference? Can I just order what I'm missing?

Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast