Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why is my CYA low?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why is my CYA low?

When testing my CYA, I'm able to see the black dot with the cylinder completely full. Last year I definitely had CYA so why would it be gone now? I live in Central Valley of California (hot in summer). It is my understanding that CYA does not evaporate.

I'm using test solution purchased from TFTestKits last year. Could it be that I need new solution?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave

19K gal, plaster, Jandy Stealth 2 HP 2speed pump, Jandy CL 460 cartridge filter, Nature2 Fusion Inground (not using), Jandy LXi 400,000 BTU heater (for spa), Polaris 280 with 3/4 HP booster pump, 3/4 HP Jandy pump for water feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why is my CYA low?

Do you get cold in the winter? I am in Upstate NY and lose all of my CYA every winter.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

3. Back To Top    #3

Very occasionally we might hit freezing at night in winter, but not very often.
    Dave

19K gal, plaster, Jandy Stealth 2 HP 2speed pump, Jandy CL 460 cartridge filter, Nature2 Fusion Inground (not using), Jandy LXi 400,000 BTU heater (for spa), Polaris 280 with 3/4 HP booster pump, 3/4 HP Jandy pump for water feature

4. Back To Top    #4

Now boy, I say boy, that there is a chicken and you are a chicken hawk!

Every now and then when the water temp is right and the FC is very low it is possible for bacteria to consume CYA. It is generally rare but a little more prevalent this year for some reason.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach