Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to buy a robot

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

When to buy a robot

I know robots shouldn't be used the first 30 days after plaster is finished, but I was wondering if I HAVE to have my robot at that point or can I tough it out with the TFP method, daily brushing and vacuuming for a few weeks if I don't have the budget immediately for the robot?
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to buy a robot

If I understand your question correctly, you don't ever NEED a robot, or any automated cleaner for that matter. Good old fashion vacuuming works just less convenient. And personal opinion on brushing (especially gunite/plaster pools), there's no machine that takes the place of brushing by hand.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

you don't ever need to buy a robot if you're prepared to clean manually. It's a chore, but if you're comfortable doing it then keep doing it.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Thank you both for answering! I plan to buy a robot but just wondered if some type of mechanical cleaner was a necessity immediately. We 86'd the Polaris w/the booster pump in favor of getting a robot. I'm just trying to see if I can stretch not having it for more than the 30day break in period. Now I know I can! Thank you again!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you use Amazon, Prime day is coming up who knows might find a deal you can't pass up. I have also had good luck wiht warehouse deals but it can be a bit like going to a garage sale never know whats there till you look.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!