Hayward s200 leaking bulkhead union

Jun 2, 2016
Hurricane,wv
We have a leak from the o ring on the outside of the filter at the bulkhead union of the water return (I believe - the bottom pipe). Is it possible to replace this o-ring without opening the filter? Any assistance/instruction is appreciated.

kcb

in ground, 11,800 gallons, vinyl, s200 sand filter

Hi, welcome to TFP! :wave:

If it's leaking from the spacer area, have a look at this thread: Replacing Side Mount O-Ring Spacer

And a link to the filter diagram in case you don't have it....
Hayward S-200/ S-240 Sand Filter Parts - INYOPools.com

Personally, I'd open the filter and move the sand away from the pipes entering the filter. Then take it apart - clean inside and outside mating surfaces extra good and replace the o-rings, etc. After that, you may want to consider - Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter - since you already have the filter open.

Part 23 is the o-ring. Your filter doesn't pear to use a spacer.

Your filter is slightly different than the one in my first link above. I just provided that link to give you an idea of what might need to be done. The important part is to clean the mating surfaces well. One grain of sand could cause it to leak. That's why the recommendation to open the filter and moving the sand away from the piping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.