Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward s200 leaking bulkhead union

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward s200 leaking bulkhead union

We have a leak from the o ring on the outside of the filter at the bulkhead union of the water return (I believe - the bottom pipe). Is it possible to replace this o-ring without opening the filter? Any assistance/instruction is appreciated.

kcb

in ground, 11,800 gallons, vinyl, s200 sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward s200 leaking bulkhead union

Can you take a picture of where you are talking about? I have an S244. Not sure how different it is, but there's no o-ring right at the valve fitting. It it just a union added along the plumbing close to it? If so, you can replace the o-ring in those easy enough.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Hi, welcome to TFP!

If it's leaking from the spacer area, have a look at this thread: Replacing Side Mount O-Ring Spacer

And a link to the filter diagram in case you don't have it....
    Hayward S-200/ S-240 Sand Filter Parts - INYOPools.com

Personally, I'd open the filter and move the sand away from the pipes entering the filter. Then take it apart - clean inside and outside mating surfaces extra good and replace the o-rings, etc. After that, you may want to consider - Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter - since you already have the filter open.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the assistance. According to the diagram, I believe it is part 23, on the bottom, that needs replaced. Not sure if that is the same as the spacer.

And thanks for the info on deep cleaning the sand.
    kcb
    in ground, 11,800, vinyl, s200 sand

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Part 23 is the o-ring. Your filter doesn't pear to use a spacer.

Your filter is slightly different than the one in my first link above. I just provided that link to give you an idea of what might need to be done. The important part is to clean the mating surfaces well. One grain of sand could cause it to leak. That's why the recommendation to open the filter and moving the sand away from the piping.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment