Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New 21' AGP, looking for drop in steps.. are inground ones any different?

1. Back To Top    #1

New 21' AGP, looking for drop in steps.. are inground ones any different?

We are looking for wedding cake style drop ins for our new AGP.. I found a set on a local buy and sell but they are described for inground... is there really any difference?
    Or any reason why I can't use these in my Above ground?
    21' x 52" Round Above Ground. (Buried 2') AquaPro 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 19" Sand filter, Hayward inline chlorinator.
    Hayward H200 millivolt NG Heater, SunQuest 2 x 2'x10' Solar heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New 21' AGP, looking for drop in steps.. are inground ones any different?

bump....
    21' x 52" Round Above Ground. (Buried 2') AquaPro 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 19" Sand filter, Hayward inline chlorinator.

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been using inground wedding style steps in our pool for as long as we've owned it. The big difference in inground as opposed to aboveground, is the inground doesn't have the ladder for the outside. That doesn't matter if you have a deck.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I used to have the wedding cake syle steps. Overall I liked them but it was a pain in weighing them down and then getting the weights out when closing it for the season (used 50 lb bags of sand). Not a deal breaker but just something to be aware of. I did think they looked good though. Sorry for the unsolicited advice
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

5. Back To Top    #5

Our wedding cake steps are for in ground as well. They still have the angled backside at the bottom to accommodate the cove. As mentioned above, the weight required to hold them in place is ridiculous and that makes them a pita to move to clean under.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for that tip about the cove! I never even considered that!
    I knew about the weight and the algae potential and I think we have decided to go with the olympic drop in steps.
    They are pretty much completely open in the back so there will be no issues with algae with the exception of a small amount under the footing of the steps which shouldn't be too hard to manage.

New Olympic Drop In Step - Pioneer Family Pools