Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump/filter sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump/filter sizing

The guys out repairing our pool light recently commented that our filter is too small for our pool AND too small for our pump. Based on the stats in my signature (not sure pool volume, but 35-45k gal should be close), does our equipment seem mismatched or problematic? We don't really run the heater ever, and we're currently running the filter 8 hrs/day (just kept the same schedule as the previous owners had). We have no idea how old the equipment is, and nothing seems to be broken. I saw the "Losing Your Head" sticky, but I'm not sure about water flow, head size or loss...

We're replacing the control panel and a few other things as well as installing a cover at the end of this season, so if it would be beneficial to replace the filter also, that would be the time to do it.

Pump:
    Pentair WhisperFlo 2.5 HP
    Filter: Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S244SV
    Heater: Laars Lite 2 natural gas (barely used)
    Add'l pump for waterfall: Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP
    Polaris 280 w/ seperate booster pump
    Inherited 30k gal IG gunite black bottom pebble w/ waterfall & attached spa, built 1993ish; Pump: Pentair Intiliflo VS pump; SWCG: Pentair IC60; Filter: Pentair FNS Plus 60 SQFT DE; Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 400,000btu; Robot: Dolphin Nautilus Plus; Waterfall Pump: Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP; Testing: TFTest Kit TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump/filter sizing

The filter is a bit small for the pump and the main reason you don't want to under size a filter is that it can cause damage to the filter or it can push debris through the filter. Are you experiencing either of those issues? Sand filters are pretty tough so even though you may be exceeding the flow rate recommendations, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump/filter sizing

The guy made some sort of adjustment to the filter while he was here, and it did seem to start filtering better and sucking more into the skimmers. Before we still had some pine needles and bugs floating along the surface, and a few hours after he left the water was perfectly clear. We've since noticed the overflow from the spa to the pool seems to be stronger, so I'm not sure if there's a flow or power rate adjuster on filters or if he diverted power from one component to another (I wasn't there when he did this, and my husband didn't think to ask). He did say the biggest issue we'll find is the need to backwash more frequently, likely once/wk. He backwashed while he was there which was 6 days from the last time we'd done it.
    Inherited 30k gal IG gunite black bottom pebble w/ waterfall & attached spa, built 1993ish; Pump: Pentair Intiliflo VS pump; SWCG: Pentair IC60; Filter: Pentair FNS Plus 60 SQFT DE; Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 400,000btu; Robot: Dolphin Nautilus Plus; Waterfall Pump: Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP; Testing: TFTest Kit TF-100