Patching a tear - How to clamp

DeadAquaRite

Mar 29, 2012
I recently discovered a liner failure resulting from age. I want to patch it and get by until winter at least, but next winter would be ideal. My question is regarding clamping the patch while the glue cures. The location is in a corner, where the liner is pulled away from the side a bit. My patch is original liner material and about 8inx12in. The repair site is curved in multiple directions, which will make clamping difficult. Obviously, I can't sit out there and hold it manually for 24 hours. Any suggestions?

20160705_131904.jpg

Also, I'd rather get on this sooner than later. Is this an acceptable glue for this job?
Leslie's VR8140/LES Wet-Patch Kit

That is going to be a VERY hard place to fix as you well know. My gut says cut a piece of patch that goes well around the area and just do the best you can THEN put another, bigger patch over that as a safe guard. Is this an area you CAN stand for a couple/few mins. to help it take?

I don't know the patching stuff you linked to but do know this one:

Amazon.com : Boxer Adhesives No.110 Vinyl Pool Repair Kit : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

This is the standard all others are measured to.

Kim:cat:

I decided to wait and order the Boxer adhesive. The image above is flipped for some reason, but the tear is above the waterline so I can sit there for some time and hold it. Being a woodworker, I like to apply pressure for 24 hours, but this spot just isn't conducive to that.

A bigger patch will be a problem as the cut is about 2" from the top and I cut my patch about 3" larger on all sides.

I put on a thin (5mil?) clear patch as a 1st layer and test patch. Hand pressure and rubbing out bubbles for about 15 min. Very minor edge lift (~1/2mm) cured by another application of glue abive . Lift remains below the waterline.

31c007bd5210ce4d9f83a4da84ebd782.jpg

Tomorrow I'll apply the main patch, using hand pressure again. Since this patch will be approx 1" below the top (had to remove edge cleat), i'm going to apply a third clear patch over the top edge only.

Sounds like a solid plan. Glad the hand pressure worked! Let us know how it goes! I would keep an eye on it and redo the glue as needed.

Just thought of something else..........REALLY watch that your pool does not over fill........do not want water getting up there and behind the liner.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.