Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Patching a tear - How to clamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Patching a tear - How to clamp

I recently discovered a liner failure resulting from age. I want to patch it and get by until winter at least, but next winter would be ideal. My question is regarding clamping the patch while the glue cures. The location is in a corner, where the liner is pulled away from the side a bit. My patch is original liner material and about 8inx12in. The repair site is curved in multiple directions, which will make clamping difficult. Obviously, I can't sit out there and hold it manually for 24 hours. Any suggestions?

20160705_131904.jpg

Also, I'd rather get on this sooner than later. Is this an acceptable glue for this job?
    Leslie's VR8140/LES Wet-Patch Kit
    My Pool: 18'x36' Grecian. Vinyl Liner, 500# sand filter, SWG.

My hobbies: Brewing beer and flying rockets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Patching a tear - How to clamp

That is going to be a VERY hard place to fix as you well know. My gut says cut a piece of patch that goes well around the area and just do the best you can THEN put another, bigger patch over that as a safe guard. Is this an area you CAN stand for a couple/few mins. to help it take?

I don't know the patching stuff you linked to but do know this one:

Amazon.com : Boxer Adhesives No.110 Vinyl Pool Repair Kit : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

This is the standard all others are measured to.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I decided to wait and order the Boxer adhesive. The image above is flipped for some reason, but the tear is above the waterline so I can sit there for some time and hold it. Being a woodworker, I like to apply pressure for 24 hours, but this spot just isn't conducive to that.

A bigger patch will be a problem as the cut is about 2" from the top and I cut my patch about 3" larger on all sides.

4. Back To Top    #4

okay woodworker------can you make a form that will hold pressure on the patch like a board to the other side of the pool???? Just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

That's quite a span. I was considering a sandbag hanging over or using a rope to pull a weighted float against it.

6. Back To Top    #6

yeah! That would work! I am sure you can come up with something to press against it. Make sure to share a pic of what you end up doing!

Kim

7. Back To Top    #7

I put on a thin (5mil?) clear patch as a 1st layer and test patch. Hand pressure and rubbing out bubbles for about 15 min. Very minor edge lift (~1/2mm) cured by another application of glue abive . Lift remains below the waterline.

Tomorrow I'll apply the main patch, using hand pressure again. Since this patch will be approx 1" below the top (had to remove edge cleat), i'm going to apply a third clear patch over the top edge only.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like a solid plan. Glad the hand pressure worked! Let us know how it goes! I would keep an eye on it and redo the glue as needed.

Just thought of something else..........REALLY watch that your pool does not over fill........do not want water getting up there and behind the liner.

Kim

9. Back To Top    #9

Applied #2 last night. Wow, the glue made that patch really soft. I hope it regains it's strength over time.

10. Back To Top    #10

Not pretty, but functional.