Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace filter

1. Back To Top    #1
    Bridgewater, NJ

Replace filter

Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with my pool all season and can't get it clear. I suspect that my filter is leaking and the cloudiness is a result of sand particles suspended in the water. A couple times I have add floc and everything settles on the bottom and the water is crystal clear. Subsequent vacumming just adds the cloudiness back. At the end of last season, I replaced the lateral and the pipe in the filter but it just doesn't seem to be doing the job. I'm not sure if there is any troubleshooting that I can do, or if it makes sense to just start fresh with a brand new filter. I am attaching pictures from a couple days ago after the last floc. Any advice/thougths would be most appreciated.

Throughout the season I have kept with the BBB method. I did have an algae outbreak or two but the BBB method has removed the green from the pool both times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -AG round Vinyl, roughly 27'x4.5' = 18,000 gallons
    -Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    -1.5 HP pump
    -1 skimmer and 1 drain in bottom center feeding pump/filter to one return

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Replace filter

I would encourage the following:
    - SLAM (link below) Do not use any other products other than regular chlorine bleach to accomplish the SLAM.
    - Do a deep clean of your filter as noted on the Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page.
    - Please post a full set of your test results.
    - Confirm for us if you are using the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!