Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help Attaching an Aerator to my In-Ground Pool - HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help Attaching an Aerator to my In-Ground Pool - HELP!

I am a new pool owner and have an 8,000 gallon in-ground pool in Florida. We do not have a chiller and the temperature of the pool is climbing over 90 degrees these days, and we want to try to chill it - without the expense of a traditional chiller.

My wife and I found a few chiller products that connect to the returns and works like a sprinkler, aerating the water before it gets returned to the pool.
    My two returns do not have an “eyeball” (nor do they have PVC pipes and threading). The pool is 40+ years old. I assume that when the pool was resurfaced in the past, they resurfaced with marcite right over the threads of the PVC – or it could be that the returns are not PVC at all, given the age of the home (1962). The return holes in the side of the pool are about 1/2" to 3/4" deep – before you get to what feels like a 1” pipe (does not feel like they have threads either). I have attached a picture of the return.

Is there anything that you can recommend so that I can attach a rain/chiller product (with a 1 ˝” PVC thread) with the return holes in my pool?

Thanks,

Norm B.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Norm B. - Florida
    In-ground, 8k marcite and concrete pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Need Help Attaching an Aerator to my In-Ground Pool - HELP!

Not with returns like that for sure. Your best bet would be to have a spigot installed on the filter pumps discharge, if you don't have one there already, and run a hose to a yard sprinkler head locked to arch water back into the pool redneck style.

Or, as one of my customers have done, throw a pool party and have everyone bring a bag of ice!

GL!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Need Help Attaching an Aerator to my In-Ground Pool - HELP!

For something that looks better, could you find that return line in the ground behind your pool or is it covered with concrete?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School