Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae surviving over the winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae surviving over the winter?

I know on the surface the answer to this question seems quite obvious. But I am following another member's thread regarding Mustard Algae coming back year after year and it made me consider the question:

If I have hidden algae when I close the pool for the season is it possible for algae (be it green, mustard, black, red, purple, fuchsia) of any kind to survive a northeast winter?

Pool is always closed with perfect water balance and FC brought up to Shock Level using liquid Bleach. Cover is a safety solid. 100% solid. Not mesh, not a permeable solid. This is a heavy vinyl cover that allows zero light to pass through. In the absence of any light, being subject to freezing temps for months under the cover, and blasted with a 30+ FC upon closing, is it reasonable to surmise that no algae can survive and I should theoretically be opening to an algae free pool every spring?
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae surviving over the winter?

Don't see why it's not possible.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Don't see why it's not possible.
    Because I am subjecting it 3 conditions in which I am not sure if algae can survive. Complete darkness, Freezing, and Ultra High Chlorine. That's why I asked.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

4. Back To Top    #4

Freezing isn't going to be a problem for algae. It won't grow, but it will still be there. Algae has been found active in Antarctic ice though most of the time it is just spores waiting for better conditions to grow.

High chlorine will ensure that no algae is alive at closing, but it won't last all winter, and some spores will certainly find their way in under the edges of the cover via wind or bugs dragging them in.

Absence of light will be the most important thing. Algae can't grow without light.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks JohnT - It was the light/darkness thing I wasn't sure of. Whether or not algae is like any other plant that requires photosynthesis for survival. Appreciate the response.