My Pennsylvania Pool Renovation

Jun 16, 2014
Allentown, PA
First, a quick bit of background.

I purchased a 1957 home with a vintage concrete pool about three years ago. I grew up around pools, as my dad had a vinyl liner pool for 30 years, but I never desired one and had no idea what I was in for.

- c. 1975 Sylvan pool
- Lazy L.
- 28,000 gallon
- several coats of unknown paint
- Deep end is about 9 feet
- dive

It had not been opened for several years and was a total wreck. No legal fence around most it. The last owner literally had a piece of Romex carrying 220 v to the pump laying across the ground. I pumped it out myself, refilled and got to work. Thankfully, I found TFP to help me manage it. With the safety issues tackled, we are finally getting to the cosmetics. It's a huge investment for my family, but it's here, so we are going forward with making it nice.

The crew from Premier Pool Renovations arrived to start my renovation this morning. We are going for a clean modern look that matches the home. It will include:
Deck and coping removal
tile removal
sandblast
Replace with new cantilever deck.
new tile
krystalkrete finish
10-working day at a cost of about $29,000

My intention is to share photos here, thinking I might just learn something from the experience. And, I'm also open to all of your great insights and suggestions as I go forward.

First up:
The crew has demoed and removed the old rusty dive stand (visible in second image). It is a single post metal cast in place.
My intention was to paint it and replace it, but it will become a permanent fixture again. The 8-foot board is cracked and so I already have to replace that too. Any opinions on whether it would be better off getting a whole new dive? is it preferable to bolt to the new deck instead? any suggested models?

Part two:
It's a little tricky because the junction box for my light is tucked under this dive, rising about a foot above the deck. Any ideas on how I should deal with this if I change out the dive? Is it difficult to run new conduit in order to move it off the deck? I presume this will also be buying a new light with longer cord. I am pretty capable with fixing anything, but also need to watch cost.

Anything else I should pay attention to before they pour the deck? They will be pressure testing the lines at some point.

thanks! Jeffery

Attachments

• IMG_8522.jpg
    IMG_8522.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8523.jpg
    IMG_8523.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 83
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.