Major TA & Ph troubles

May 1, 2012
NC USA
bc489635f54a0de7859cac0c6ba022cc.jpg

We had very high ta for quite a while and brought it down using acid. However now our numbers are showing no ta (test didnt even turn green todsy! It was RED) and no pH and basically no chlorine as of this morning. While the pool looks crystal clear I am very concerned about what it's happening. I'm not sure where to start noe and what to add first to try to bring my numbers back into a safe range.

We do not use borax because are dogs are frequently in the pool. I believe someone told me to stay away from borax with the dogs swimming and drinking the water occasionally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I returned to town late last night and these readings were taken at 2:00am:
FC-3
CC- 1
TC4
Ph 6.8
TA 60

Because my pH was low I added my citric acid to clear up my metal staining. Then this morning, I have basically nothing left as far as chemicals.

It sounds like your PH crashed, although not sure why. There had to be some input that caused it to drop so much. How are you chlorinating the pool? With SWG? You probably want to keep your TA at 50 to 60 if your PH is fairly stable at that level.

Is 60 the most recent test? Or was TA 60 last night and 0 this morning?

If it is 0 right now increase PH to 7.5 right away. Pump running and brush and test PH and TA in 15 minutes. If TA doesn't come up then raise it to 50 with baking soda.

More here on pool chems and how to add them, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thank you both for your responses!

I have pH Up, pH Down, stabilizer, and ph protect on hand.
I may also have some A & H Baking soda.

Yes, we chlorinate with a salt water generator.

Could it have been the citric acid for the staining that made the pH crash?

The numbers were from this past night(July 4th)during the night.(2:00am)

Today the test numbers look like the second posting with the rapid chlorine and ph test block. My ph number has never turned a true yellow before today! The TA test turned RED today!

Is the washing soda ok for if the dogs get in to swim and/or drink the pool water?

Yes, the citric acid could have pushed it down.
Yes, the washing soda will be fine for the dogs (and the people) :)
If you don't have washing soda on hand use the PH up right now to raise the PH to 7.2 asap. It may take a few additions to get there. You can adjust TA with baking soda later.

What are the ingredients in PH protect?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I've added the ph up several times and used the jets to aerate and the ph is barely showing on the ph color block. It is close to 6.8 but not going up very quickly. The TA however seems to be increasing slowly. When we read our TA the reading switches from the green to a purpley type color which we always called the "red" that we were seeking. Does that sound ok? It isn't a true red but I thought you I read that it was the color shift that we were supposed to watch for. Thank you so much for the advice and help today! Hopefully we are almost there!

Ok, good, keep going. More details here on the TA test, and all of them.
Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions
Pool dv,
Great! I'll press on. I reviewed your shared links- thank you!! This has been a hard year for us pool-wise, even harder (more challenging) than our first year as pool owners! Perhaps we became too comfortable.
Thank you again. I'll get back at it in the morning and hopefully get the kids swimming again soon! ☺

Once that PH is up to 7.2 they should be fine to swim.

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
and the water is clear

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.