Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump Timers

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump Timers

The house we sold I had an Intermatic timer that looked like this:

At the new house I have a Woods 59101R timer that looks like this, except it's in an enclosure rated for all weather:

After using the Woods for a few days, I prefer this style of timer. It's a bit easier to set the time - with the Intermatic to get the set screw tight enough I needed pliers, so changing it meant tools. I've also discovered with the Woods that if I turn it on manually, when its off, it will run until the next interval and get turned off automatically. Handy when adding chemicals like this morning. I added pH increasr then left the house knowing the timer would turn the pump off.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pump Timers

Looks like it might be directly compatible/replaceable. Yes, it is...
    Woods timers and manuals:
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info, it does look a bit easier to operate for sure. Yes, the timer dogs have bit me a few times over the years getting loose. Lotta dog puns there. The Intermatic will also shut off at the end of the next cycle when manually turned on.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Looks like it might be directly compatible/replaceable. Yes, it is...
    Woods timers and manuals:

I didn't even think about that. Yeah, it is replaceable. The timer just sits in line on the circuit. Wire it so it switches the hot lead. I wired mine to control a duplex receptacle. The pump and the SWG are both plugged into this receptacle.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Thanks for the info, it does look a bit easier to operate for sure. Yes, the timer dogs have bit me a few times over the years getting loose. Lotta dog puns there. The Intermatic will also shut off at the end of the next cycle when manually turned on.
    I keep a pair of hemostats in the box at the ready to loosen or tighten those timer trigger things.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

As if we all have a hemathingy sitting around waiting to tighten up a timer thingy!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

As if we all have a hemathingy sitting around waiting to tighten up a timer thingy!
    LOL, you just let me know and I'll send ya pair
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

I may have spoken too soon on this timer. This is the 2nd day that it hasn't turned on when it was supposed to. I had to turn it on. My working theory right now is this is also the second day that I turned the pump on manually via the switch on the timer during the off period. I turned it back off after letting it run for a while so I'm not sure why that would make a difference. Yesterday I was getting some more CYA into the water, today I was backwashing. I will not touch anything tomorrow and see if the timer turns the pump on like it's supposed to. The Intermatic I could do whatever I wanted and it would turn the pump on like it's supposed to.

9. Back To Top    #9

The Intermatic will also shut off at the end of the next cycle when manually turned on.
    My timer stopped working (only 18 months old)..but when I read the above.....I wasn't sure what you meant. I had manually turned on the pump with the switch in the timer and after that it wasn't working. The manual for the timer says the manual switch doesn't affect the cycle. But is it possible, my timer isn't broken..? Come to think of it...it was off for more than a day, so it should have reset after I put it back in manual and ran 24 hours.
    24' Round 14000 gal AG - installed June 2, 2015
    Saltwater Hayward AquaRite w/TCell - 9
    Waterway 26" sand filter w/ 2HP 2 speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Test kit