Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety Cover Installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Safety Cover Installation

Hello,

We just had our pool built this spring and I'm looking into getting a safety cover. I'm still shopping around for quotes, getting someone to commit to an appointment can be a challenge right now, but I'm contacting about 5 different companies.

Has anyone installed their own safety cover? I have a bumpout for a seat and a tanning ledge, so I know I need a custom cover. Just wondering if anyone has installed their own, or if it's not really worth the hassle or if there is any cost savings.

I also have a question about installation with pavers. I think I need the sleeves for this and not just the short anchors that go into concrete. When pavers are drilled, is a normal hammer drill used? I've heard this is not the best way to drill them and some kind of diamond/wet drill should be used. I've looked a little on line for info on this, but haven't been able to find anything yet.

Thanks,
    Walt
    24K white plaster IG pool (2016), Jandy DE, Jandy 1.5 HP pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward H400DN heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safety Cover Installation

I installed mine at the end of last season. It is NOT difficult. I have concrete, so a normal hammer drill worked just fine. With pavers, I think you need something that goes deep into the ground to support the anchors.

All of the bump-outs will have straps on them to attach to anchors, and mine came with a detailed drawing showing the correct placement of the anchors. Really wasn't worth the installation price, twice the cost of the cover itself!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

I installed mine and it was well worth the time. I was quoted about $1200 to do the installation. I bought a hammer drill and 3/4" bit and still came out $1000 ahead.

You for sure need the sleeves with pavers. A diamond core drill is probably the best choice, but if you have a spare piece of paver you can see how a hammer drill works.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Griswald, do you mind if I ask who you ordered your cover through?
    24K white plaster IG pool (2016), Jandy DE, Jandy 1.5 HP pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward H400DN heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I installed mine myself, it is on pavers so i did install the sleeves. I just a hammer drill and ran all the way down into the stone, think it was maybe 12-16" deep. The only issue I had was I cracked a few pavers ... some didnt fall dead in the center and trying to drill close to the edged caused cracks. I had extra so was able to get it done with some extra drilling!
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have suggestions or examples of how their safety cover has dealt with a raised wall like in the photo? I'd rather not drill into the tile with wall anchors if not necessary. The entire width of the pool is 16' and there is 45" on either side of the first portion of the raised wall.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Murray16 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Does anyone have suggestions or examples of how their safety cover has dealt with a raised wall like in the photo? I'd rather not drill into the tile with wall anchors if not necessary. The entire width of the pool is 16' and there is 45" on either side of the first portion of the raised wall.

Believe it or not, I have the same issue. I do not have a good solution though as i too do not want to drill and add anchors into the wall. What i've done though is I loop cable through all the end cover hooks and pull it upwards towards the deck. I tie the end then to a weight sitting on the deck above. It is NOT a safety cover at that point but does keep out all the winter junk and animals. I've seen cats out on it and even tons of snow at times and it holds great. FYI this photo is not the finished look, there is a wall and fence on the deck above to keep people from going off.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Griswald, do you mind if I ask who you ordered your cover through?
    Not sure where I ordered it from, but it is an Arctic Armor brand solid with mesh panel cover. The box it came in was really heavy, UPS wasn't real happy!!!

I think 45" away from the wall is OK, my anchors are closer to 36" from the pool edge. The straps are easily shortened as well.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

I haven't bought one from this guy, but I've exchanged a couple emails and he seems very knowledgeable .
    http://poolservicema.com/product-rev...-reviews-cost/
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone. SSgumby, do you have a picture of the cover when it's on and how the cable is utilized? I have a pretty good idea what you're talking about, just trying to visualize it.

I've gotten two quotes so far and one said they'd go up and over it, but the other said they'd go in front of and have to drill into the tile, which I'd rather not do. The steps are 6" each so the max height is 1 foot and it spans about 9 feet.

Does anyone have any pictures of how they're covers deal with a raised wall? Just trying to educate myself and see examples so I get what I want.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks everyone. SSgumby, do you have a picture of the cover when it's on and how the cable is utilized? I have a pretty good idea what you're talking about, just trying to visualize it.

I've gotten two quotes so far and one said they'd go up and over it, but the other said they'd go in front of and have to drill into the tile, which I'd rather not do. The steps are 6" each so the max height is 1 foot and it spans about 9 feet.

Does anyone have any pictures of how they're covers deal with a raised wall? Just trying to educate myself and see examples so I get what I want.
    I've looked but don't have a photo showing how I have it rigged up. Guess I dont like being out in the cold.

12. Back To Top    #12

Gumby......what is the name of your liner??? Water looks so pretty!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby View Post
    Believe it or not, I have the same issue. I do not have a good solution though as i too do not want to drill and add anchors into the wall. What i've done though is I loop cable through all the end cover hooks and pull it upwards towards the deck. I tie the end then to a weight sitting on the deck above. It is NOT a safety cover at that point but does keep out all the winter junk and animals. I've seen cats out on it and even tons of snow at times and it holds great. FYI this photo is not the finished look, there is a wall and fence on the deck above to keep people from going off.
    15x30 rectangle vinyl IG, Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo II 19" sand filter, Sta-Rite Super Max .75 HP 2 speed, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 2 bench jets, 2" plumbing, TF-100 kit, Latham Gold Pebble liner. Dolphin Active 10 robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Sparker View Post
    Gumby......what is the name of your liner??? Water looks so pretty!

This is a Vynall liner with Travertine Base with the Antique Brick tile.

The base is hard to describe, it is a mix of blue, tan, grey shades in a pattern of what looks like small stones. I wanted tan but loved this when I saw it so went with it and am very happy.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks! I was hoping you'd say tan sierra gold pebble by Latham lol. The boarder looks like said liner. That's what I'm getting. I'd be very happy with your choice as well!! Its very pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby View Post
    This is a Vynall liner with Travertine Base with the Antique Brick tile.

The base is hard to describe, it is a mix of blue, tan, grey shades in a pattern of what looks like small stones. I wanted tan but loved this when I saw it so went with it and am very happy.
    15x30 rectangle vinyl IG, Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo II 19" sand filter, Sta-Rite Super Max .75 HP 2 speed, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 2 bench jets, 2" plumbing, TF-100 kit, Latham Gold Pebble liner. Dolphin Active 10 robot.