fiberglass pool water change question

echo

Jul 30, 2013
western new york
First of many thanks to this forum and how its been extremely helpful. 4 years ago I had a 15k gal fiberglass pool installed. Using the liquid bleach everyday and a little muriatic acid once in a while I never seem to have to add anything else. The only time I've ever shocked is each spring when opening.
My total alk always seems to stay at ~90 +/- 10
Ca hardness has gradually increase from about 140 to 190 in 4 years time
CYA has always between 30-40

my question is: Do I need to decant some of this pool water (say 50-75%) and make up w some fresh( municipal) water just because of of its age?
It just seems weird swimming in water that is 4yrs old ( only new water ever added was for evaporation and splash out) even though water current water appears fine.

Nope, no need to discharge any water. Your water is fine.

There's no such thing as "old water" as that is an "old concept" used by "old" service techs back in the day when there were not any good methods for measuring the various water parameters. They would simply measure TDS as a proxy for how much "stuff" was added to your pool and then dump water accordingly. The use of TDS is out dated and of no practical value.

And that's the beauty of TFP. Unlike your neighbor's that follow pool store advice and constantly dump water all the time, you save money on not having to do that.

How much rainfall do you get annually? Multiply that times 4 and you will find that you have likely replaced all the water through rainfall.

Rainfall varies (I'm located about 20mi south of Bflo NY) Pool has been closed in Oct each year with a mesh type safety cover so from mid Oct to late April/early May the water level rises due to rain and snow. Every spring when opening we need to pump off at least 6in of water. I suppose I've had to lower the pool level due to rain my 6-8 times in 4 yrs usually i need to add some water to make up for evaporative losses from late spring till fall

Rainfall varies (I'm located about 20mi south of Bflo NY) Pool has been closed in Oct each year with a mesh type safety cover so from mid Oct to late April/early May the water level rises due to rain and snow. Every spring when opening we need to pump off at least 6in of water. I suppose I've had to lower the pool level due to rain my 6-8 times in 4 yrs usually i need to add some water to make up for evaporative losses from late spring till fall

Your water is definitely not "old".

Where I live (Tucson AZ), we get about 100" of net water loss every year. So an average pool here, left uncovered, will pretty much evaporate away all of the water in it. So in that way, I'm lucky....I get "new" water all the time :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.