Intex swg

Jul 4, 2016
North dakota
Hello,

I recently switched my 24' round pool from Bioguard Softswim (Baquacil for 3 years) to an Intex SWG. Its the Saltwater System with E.C.O. I changed over after winter so it took me about 1 1/2 weeks to switch over. The SWG is suppose to work up to 15,000 gallons. My pool is 13,600 gallons.

On Thursday I got my water tested at a pool store. Here are the results. Temperature 75; Saturation Index 0.3, TDS 5000; CYA 47
Total Chlorine 2.3; Free Chlorine 0.8; PH 8.1; Tot Alkalinity 99; Adj Total Alk 85; Total Hardness 167 Salt 3400; Borates 0; Copper 0.1
Iron 0.2; Everything else that they tested was 0.

The pool stores recommendation was 1.5 lbs of Stabilizer and 4lbs of super soluble because of the combined chlorine.

Before I left all I did was add a couple ounces of Algacide. I was gone for 3 days and came home and my pool was very clear and my free chlorine seemed to rise to about 1 maybe a little above that. (According to my cheap strips)
Even though my pool looked so good I still added 1.5 lbs of Stabilizer. After I added the stabilizer I realized my Intex manual said the maximum CYA is 50 ppm. Now with the addition of CYA Im going to be way over 50.

Im afraid my Intex SWG is not going to be big enough to produce enough chlorine with the amount of CYA in my pool. I'm really hoping I didn't make a huge mistake! Now with the posts Im reading I should've probably bought a bigger SWG but I would like to use this one for at least a year or two of swimming.

I didn't add the Super Soluble(granular stabilized chlorinator) because Im afraid it will raise the CYA even more. I wouldn't mind using bleach to get rid of the combined chlorine but maybe I don't even have to shock the pool??? And even with the PoolMath I'm not sure how much bleach to use.

Please any help with getting my pool balanced would make me really happy!

I have a Starite Sand Filter and a 1 Horse Power Pump.

We have about 2 months of swimming in North Dakota without a pool heater.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, you can relax ... for now. :p It doesn't sound like you've done much harm, but I can say this. You MUST stop going to the pool store for their free testing because it's costing you money for products your water doesn't need. Please do not add anything else to your water right now. Get yourself a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit right away. Testing yourself is the only way you will know 100% that the chemistry is being done correctly, and we'll show you how. I always recommend the TF-100 "XL Option" with "Speed Stir". Simply a fantastic product. Definitely do not take those store test results as an indication to do anything else right now.

For now, simply keep your FC around 4-6 ppm and order the test kit. We'll gladly help you from there. While you are waiting, please visit the vital links below in my sig, and also check-out the following:
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

Lastly, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

It's very nice to have you with us!

Hello! I received my TF-100 ! I think I'm able to figure this out! :D FC 10.5. CC 2. TC 13. Ph 7.2. Calcium 150. TA 140. CYA. 50. I put in CYA 5 days ago so maybe not testing right yet? So I see I need to slam. Can we swim in the mean time. I have company coming for the weekend. The waters very clear. Another question. When I switched to chlorine I used non chlorine shock. About a month ago. Could that make my CC appear higher then they are? I see that my Intex SWG is working. I'm glad about that. Any help with all these readings would be great! Thank you

Yes, some non-chlorine products can effect CC, but if that was a while back I'm not so sure it still applies. But yes, you can still swim while in SLAM mode. With a CYA of 50, your SLAM FC level is "20", so as long as you don't go over that you should be fine. The fact that your water is already clear would indicate your SLAM should go quickly ... we hope. :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought bleach and didn't use Super Soluble to slam after rereading the Slam instructions. My question is what is the best way to add the bleach? Bleach at 8.25% with the pool math I get 180oz to start the Slam to bring the slam to FC of 20. Is that the correct math?

Hi Cristee. I just saw your post. We always suggest adding bleach slowly near a return jet(s) with the pump running. As for the Poolmath calculator, it's telling me for a 13.6K size pool, it needs 3 gallons & 1 quart (403 ounces) of 8.25% bleach is required to increase FC from 0 to 20. Let me know if you are still seeing something different and we can go over it some more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.