Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Mystery

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Mystery

We've had an Intex pool for about 5 years. Normally when it turns green, we try to clean it up, but end up just draining it and starting over.

This year when it finally turned green, here is what happened. I dumped probably a cup worth of algaecide (the rest of my gallon jug) and about a cup of muriatic acid. I also shocked it with dichlor crystals. Surprising to me, it turned a milky blue, which is progress compared to other years. Then I tested it for chlorine and it read zero even though I have two 3-inch trichlor tablets floating around all the time. This year we inherited a free test kit that included alkalinity, so I tested it for alkalinity and it was 210 ppm. I shocked it again, but the alkalinity is still high, 220 ppm and chlorine is still zero. Water is still a cloudy blue. I'm about to drain it and start over, but was wondering if there is a solution. At least a learning experience I can gain.

My test kit does not include CYA
    5,000 gallon Intex 15'x48" AG
    Cartridge B filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Mystery

Pool School. ABC'S of Pool Water Chemistry. You can start there.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I've gone through the ABC's. Here are my results:
    FC - zero
    CC - zero
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 220 ppm
    CH - my test kit doesn't test for this
    CYA - my test kit doesn't test for this

I've managed to go from green to blue. now how to go from blue to clear? As I understand, it's easier to keep it clear than to clear it up. So draining and starting over is probably what I'm going to do.
    Cartridge B filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't say that. I don't have my test kit yet (should be delivered this week) so haven't done it the right way, but I went from pea soup to clear with just liquid bleach. A lot of filtering and brushing and vacuuming too, but still easier than draining, cleaning and refilling.
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have found that if you don't know what your CYA level is, you will never keep the water clear, at least here in Texas. My bet is your CYA is near 0 and this will allow your free chlorine to be eaten up by the sun, in turn giving you a green pool. Get the TFP recommended test kit and follow pool school here and 95% of your woes will be gone.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

6. Back To Top    #6

Intex support recommends a drain, scrub and refill. They admit their filter pumps cannot remove enough to clear it up, and advise the use of a sand filter for such operations.

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

A lot of my pool grief went away when I upgraded to a better (4000gph) pump and larger cartridge filter. The little pumps that come with the pool are just junk.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

8. Back To Top    #8

Good point. The Intex sand filter is even better.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

You need a proper test kit as mentioned above. You cannot wing it with your water. I used to do the same thing and let me tell you, this is so much easier once you start testing properly. And stop dumping random chemicals until you have a full set of test results. Keep the chlorine high and keep brushing until you get your test kit, stop everything else. When you get your kit, run all the tests and post up the results.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

The green is no mystery. Without free chlorine in your pool, all the filtering in the world isn't going to keep it from going green.

You need chlorine and CYA (aka stabilizer) in that pool PRONTO! Then you can worry about clearing up the cloudiness. Otherwise you're fighting a losing battle.

Plain old bleach is what you need. No fancy pool store potions and no more algaecide.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

11. Back To Top    #11

And just in case it becomes a question, regular bleach. No splashless or scented versions.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

You need a DIY test kit that includes a CYA test. Before you do anything, order a TF-100 (there is a link in my signature). It should take under a week for delivery. Each evening, after the sun goes down I'd add 1/2 jug of regular unscented concentrated bleach (8.25% NaClO concentration) until your kit arrives. You've added trichlor, but the amount is quite ambiguous, so thee there is no telling how much stabilizer is in your pool (please don't waste your time going to a pool store. Results are unreliable at best and used by the clerks as a catalyst to sell you something you really don't need). If the water is green and/or cloudy, it is not advisable for you to swim anyway so the un-stabilized chlorine won't be harmful, and it won't be consumed by the sunlight.

Once you receive your test kit, run a full panel of tests, FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and (least importantly for a vinyl pool, but good to know for certain accessories.) CH. Using Pool Math, adjust your pH to 7.2, add enough CYA to a tube sock to get it to 30ppm. Tie it off and putting it into the skimmer, giving the sock a squeeze every so often. You don't have to test CYA for about a week after you add it. It takes some time for the granules to dissolve and for the water to show a reading.

Finally, add enough bleach as indicated by the CYA - Chlorine chart to SLAM the pool (how-to in my signature). The more diligent you are in testing and dosing the water, the quicker your SLAM will take. Vacuum and brush throughout the process as well.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for all your responses. I've learned much already. Next question, I'm on a pretty tight budget. Even the TF-50 option is alot for me. I already have a Taylor K-1003. What if I purchased the R-0013 CYA refill for $8. Would that work for me?
    Cartridge B filter

14. Back To Top    #14

It looks like the refill is just the reagent. You also need the beaker and mixing bottle.

I realize you are on a tight budget, but if you can find the funds, the full test kit will save you a virtual small fortune in the long run. Literally $100's each season in unpurchased unnecessary chemicals at the pool store.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Husky25 View Post
    It looks like the refill is just the reagent. You also need the beaker and mixing bottle.

I realize you are on a tight budget, but if you can find the funds, the full test kit will save you a virtual small fortune in the long run. Literally $100's each season in unpurchased unnecessary chemicals at the pool store.
    AMEN to that!
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

16. Back To Top    #16

Cheapest I have ever seen is an hth 6 way kit with enough for 2 CYA tests. It is $25 at Walmart. That might get you through til you can get the TF100.
    2016 Build: 20x30 15K Gal-IG Gunite, #4 Steel Tanning Ledge, Bubbler, Flagstone Coping, Stamped Concrete Deck, Jump Rock, Rock Waterfall, CLI Majestic Isle Pebble Finish, 3 Multi-Color LED lights, Ozone-DEL Eclipse 10, Empty Inline Tab Feeder, 2 HP Jandy Pro Series ePump with SVRS, 2 Skimmers, 6 Returns, 2 drains, 1 Cleaner Return, Jandy CV Filter 460 SF, Dolphin Nautilus+, iAqualink RS Automation, Borates, Test Kit Taylor k2006

17. Back To Top    #17

Here's my 1st test results:

FC 0.5
    CC 1.0
    pH 7.8
    CH 250
    TA 310
    CYA 40
    Cartridge B filter

18. Back To Top    #18

FC is set based on CYA and the FC/CYA Chart. Chlorine must be maintained above minimum at all times for the pool to be safe, sanitary and algae free.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

So with a CYA of 40, should I remove the 3-inch trichlor tablets floating around?

We vacuumed most of the algae off the bottom yesterday. Today's FC is 0.5 and the pH is 7.8+
    Cartridge B filter

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

First of all, add enough muriatic acid to bring your pH down to 7.2 Then no more tablets, no pucks, no shock, just bleach. Add enough to bring your FC to 16 and keep it there until the water is clear and your FC drops no more than 1 overnight (what we call an overnight chlorine loss test, or OCLT). Then let your FC drop to 3-5, no lower than 3, and keep it there by adding bleach daily.

Go to the PoolMath link at the top of the page to see how much bleach to add.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation