Fired Pool Service. Now I'm scared doing it on my own.

zzjams

Jul 4, 2016
Phoenix/AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello
I had a pool service taking care of my pool for the last 2 years & they were letting my pool go green each summer. So I fired them & am trying to figure out how to keep my pool in the blue. It seems very tempermental here in the 100 degree weather of the Phoenix sun. It seems high in chlorine but is still on the green side so we put algaecide in it, but isn't there a way to keep it from going green without going to algaecide? Also I need to buy a good pool test kit so which is better the Taylor 2006 or the TF-100? Thank you.

20600 gal. inground pool, Hayward 1.5hp pump, Hayward pro series model s311sxv 5.0 cubic ft sand filter

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Go with the TF-100! I also suggest the "XL Option" and "Speed Stir". You wont regret it. You get Taylor reagents and additional chemicals to last you this season and more. As for algaecides ... stay away from them. Don't add anything else to your water except about 1 gallon of regular bleach each evening (generic is fine). Just NOT splashless or scented. Plain bleach. Once you get your test kit, post a full set of results and we'll gladly help you. Great to have you with us.

I added almost 1 gal. of 10% bleach the night before last. The next day it was still a little green. Of course I took my sample to the pool store to get tested & they said my FAC & TAC was a 10. Why is it still a little green?

I added almost 1 gal. of 10% bleach the night before last. The next day it was still a little green. Of course I took my sample to the pool store to get tested & they said my FAC & TAC was a 10. Why is it still a little green?

Because you most likely don't have enough chlorine. Getting above 10 is not a migic number. The amount of chlorine you need in your pool is entirely dependent upon your CYA number.

We'd most all reccomend a TF-100

Here is some good reading.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

We won't know for sure until your test kit arrives. My suspicion (which is a very common occurrence) is that your CYA level may be quite high. If that's the case, it's almost impossible to keep the FC high enough to balance-out as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). When we do a TFP "SLAM" to clear algae, we increase FC based on that chart to the appropriate level. You can see on that chart all the SLAM FC levels are well above 10 - and it's safe to do so when we know the true CYA. Your test kit will confirm all of this for us.

TFP recommends CYA between 30-50 for many non-SWG pools, and around 70-80 for SWG pools. There are some exceptions here & there, but that's the norm. What we see here many, many times is the pool store says the CYA is X-amount, and it is actually much different. You're hearing 90 right now, but don't be surprised when your kit arrives to find your CYA closer to 150 or more. It's a critical test for balancing water against algae, but one test often performed incorrectly by the pool store on a frequent basis. You'll experience this for yourself soon.

Okay, I'll get the test kit. I cannot do any kind of draining here in Phoenix right now in 100 degree weather or my pool will crack so I am going to have to try & treat it till I can drain it in December. Thank you so much for you help & quick response. It makes this pool journey so much easier.