Time to replace my T cell 9? Is a generic model just as good?

Oct 23, 2015
Lynchburg, VA
My instant salinity reading on the control panel is reading 1000 ppm less than the actual salt level (confirmed by test strip and pool store testing), so I think it's time to replace my T-cell-9.

I tried re-calibrating the salt reading following the instructions on this video but it's still reading 2000 ppm when the tests say 3100.

The Hayward brand retails at $460, but I've seen prices online as low as $330. Then there's a compatible generic model (CaliMar) that is just under $300. Does anyone have any experience with the generic models?

Make sure that the T-Cell setting is correct. If it’s set for a T-15. Then the reading will be off. Also, it’s usually better to go with a T-15 cell in most cases.

The T-15 is a much better value. It doesn't cost much more. In fact I think you can find one on Amazon for about $450. Just don't buy the T-15w, it only has a one year warranty vs the three year on the regular t-15. Do not buy a generic. Way too many reports of problems and short life. My first T-15 lasted well over seven years. $450/7= less than $65 per year chlorine cost for a 19k pool that's open year round.

I agree go with the higher capacity T-15, its not that much more. Before you order a T-15 I would double check that your controller will support it. Some of the earlier ones were locked into the Tcell that was sold with it (like mine will only run with a t-15 from what I've been able to gather). so make sure the setting can be changed to a T-15.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.