Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to replace my T cell 9? Is a generic model just as good?

1. Back To Top    #1

Time to replace my T cell 9? Is a generic model just as good?

My instant salinity reading on the control panel is reading 1000 ppm less than the actual salt level (confirmed by test strip and pool store testing), so I think it's time to replace my T-cell-9.

I tried re-calibrating the salt reading following the instructions on this video but it's still reading 2000 ppm when the tests say 3100.

The Hayward brand retails at $460, but I've seen prices online as low as $330. Then there's a compatible generic model (CaliMar) that is just under $300. Does anyone have any experience with the generic models?
    IG 26k gal, vinyl liner, Hayward S220T sand filter, Hayward SP2607X10 pump with Century UST1102 motor (single speed)
    Goldline AquaRite swg with Tcell-9
    TF-100 test kit
    located in Central Virginia

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time to replace my T cell 9? Is a generic model just as good?

Make sure that the T-Cell setting is correct. If it’s set for a T-15. Then the reading will be off. Also, it’s usually better to go with a T-15 cell in most cases.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have checked the diagnostics and yes, it is set for T-9. That's the unit that was here when I bought this house last year.

IG 26k gal, vinyl liner, Hayward S220T sand filter, Hayward SP2607X10 pump with Century UST1102 motor (single speed)
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Your pool will be better off with the T-15 as it can produce a lot more chlorine in a day compared to the T-9.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The T-15 is a much better value. It doesn't cost much more. In fact I think you can find one on Amazon for about $450. Just don't buy the T-15w, it only has a one year warranty vs the three year on the regular t-15. Do not buy a generic. Way too many reports of problems and short life. My first T-15 lasted well over seven years. $450/7= less than $65 per year chlorine cost for a 19k pool that's open year round.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree go with the higher capacity T-15, its not that much more. Before you order a T-15 I would double check that your controller will support it. Some of the earlier ones were locked into the Tcell that was sold with it (like mine will only run with a t-15 from what I've been able to gather). so make sure the setting can be changed to a T-15.
    20K IG gunite with attached spa, dark plaster and lava rock waterfall, very 90's. Pool equip refit in 2005 with all Sta-Rite cartridge filter, pump, and heater; Polaris sweep; Goldline Controller(Hayward) with T-Cell-15 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

I checked my controller, and yes, I can set it for any of the cells. Thanks for the recommendations, all!
    TF-100 test kit