Inefficient backwash

Sdover

Jul 29, 2015
Chester
This is the first time I've ever had a question I couldn't find an answer for on the site. I started with new sand this year. I should note that we have high iron well water, however, once it oxidizes it filters out easily.

No problems with the (brand new) pump/filter for the last month. Excessive chlorine loss over the last few days pointed to algae, and so began the slam. I've noticed small amounts of sand under the return before, but today there was an unusual amount. So I sucked it and some bigger debris up and watched the return spit it back out.

Tore the filter down for inspection, and found....
The sand was so filthy I'm surprised it hadn't become sentient. The tiny slits in the laterals (?) Were chock full of debris, but not broken. I backwash and rinse regularly, but to look at this mess you'd never know it.

Is there an issue with the pump pressure not being high enough to flush out all of the junk in the sand? Are the sand particles too big for the pump? Or am I overlooking a simple, common sense detail per usual?

Intex 10" filter/pump combo
#20 sand

Thank you in advance!

Sand filters require a certain amount of flow when backwashing to ensure a good cleaning of the sand.

One of the biggest problems with the Intex pumps is that they are undersized for most of the applications they're in.

Sounds like you are probably going to have to deep clean the filter on a more regular basis than most other people. The good news is that now you know that and can adjust for it. Another thing you can do is to backwash for a longer time than you think it needs when you do backwash it.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Along with advice above, just wondering... does the filter have a rinse setting that you use after backwashing? When I first started off I wasn't rinsing long enough. I find I need to rinse for about 1.5 minutes to avoid cloudiness back in the pool after backwashing.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Along with advice above, just wondering... does the filter have a rinse setting that you use after backwashing? When I first started off I wasn't rinsing long enough.

Thank you! And yes, I rinse after backwashing but will try letting it run longer for sure.

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you are probably going to have to deep clean the filter on a more regular basis than most other people. The good news is that now you know that and can adjust for it. Another thing you can do is to backwash for a longer time than you think it needs when you do backwash it.

Luckily I found the sticky yesterday for deep cleaning the sand without having to take it all out. It was super helpful

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.