Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feels like sinking more than swimming!

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Feels like sinking more than swimming!

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum. I've been trying to fight a rather persistent algae growth recently using over the counter supplies and such, but it feels like a losing battle. I think the core reason is that my pool isn't getting enough chlorine circulation. I've got a chlorine circulator (a Rainbow Lifegard 300), for which I replaced the elbow check valve earlier, but the tests show me that my chlorine and pH levels are dangerously low. I feel like I've been shoveling in shock powder and chlorine tablets to no avail. The water is clear but I've got what looks like little clumps of yellowish algae still coming back even after pouring in around ten ounces of algaecide 60 and shocking it with ~4 pounds of 73% calcium hypochlorite.

I tested the pH and the chlorine levels with my Bioguard multitest today, along with a couple of the Leslie's strips. According to the tests, my pH is low and my chlorine levels are practically nonexistent.

Help?
    12,500 gallons, IG, plaster
    DE filter (Pentair FNS Plus)
    Century Centurion 1.5hp B2854 pump, and some PB4 Booster pump
    Taylor K-2006C
    Rainbow Lifegard Chlorinator (retired)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Feels like sinking more than swimming!

Hello and welcome to TFP! We would be glad to help you. But from our perspective, you have a couple things going wrong for you right off the bat - you are not testing water accurately and you're using pool store methods/products doomed to failure. We see it all the time. So here's you get-well prescription:
    1 - Order a TF-100 (XL Option) and speed stir OR a Taylor K-2006C (link below). The TF-100 will give you more testing options.
    2 - Stop using any more pool store products, bags of shock, algaecides, etc.
    3 - Remove any chlorine tabs from further use.

I suspect the vast amount of shock, tabs, and store products have raised your CYA to an unmanageable level. In addition, algaecides add metal to your water. Your best option at the moment is to simply order the proper test kit as noted above and add about 1 gallon of bleach to your water each evening. Regular HEB "Bravo" or Wal-Mart "Great Value" bleach - NOT splashless or scented. Just plain. Do that and check back with us and we'll gladly help you get this resolved.

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm also a newbie, and I really really recommend listening to the advice of the experts and mods here. I brought my pool from swamp to crystal clear following the advice here, using a good test kit, and products from grocery/hardware stores. I haven't sent foot into a pool store for advice on my water to date. Having a good test gives accurate test results with numbers that can be used to calculate what you really need. I've found the amount of time daily/weekly for regular testing and adjusting is really minimal, and totally worth it.

Good luck!
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

4. Back To Top    #4

Alright. I've ordered the K-2006C test kit and will be running to the local Walmart to purchase some bleach. Is there some kind of specific type of bleach I should be looking for? Thanks.
    Taylor K-2006C

5. Back To Top    #5

Walmart has two options - either their regular "Great Value" in the laundry section, or they may have bottles near the pool section called "Pool Essentials". The GV is about 8.25%, and the Essentials is about 10% strength. Either will work. Just buy the one that's better price.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Texas has you pointed in the right direction so while you wait for your test kit to arrive do some reading up in pool school too. You will always have good people here to answer your questions as you go.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

What you will have with proper testing and learning is control over your pool
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

I've obtained my kit and I took the first readings this morning. In the meantime, I've been pouring a bottle of bleach (almost a gallon) into my pool each evening at around sunset (4 bottles so far in total). Here's what I've got:

pH: 7.0
    FC: 15ppm
    CC: 1ppm
    CYA: Off the charts. Seriously, the test only went up to 100, and my readings are even higher than that.

So... what's next?
    Taylor K-2006C

8. Back To Top    #8

Use the test bottle for your CYA... fill it to the mark with pool water, then take it inside, and fill to the second mark with tap water, and mix WELL.
    Next empty half of the bottle (should bring you back to the 1st mark)... add the re-agent to the second mark, and test again.
    If it says that you have a CYA level of 50, it is really 100... if it says 60, you are closer to 120... 70 = 140 etc.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP

When the FC gets above 10 you shouldn't trust the pH reading or try to adjust it. Once the FC is under 10ppm you should try to get a reading. You're likely close.

You should do a CYA dilution test to find out how bad it is. Please explain how to dilute CYA test if over 100

You're going to need to drain and refill to lower the CYA. Once that's under control, do a SLAM and forget about using the pool store advice and chemicals.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

cross post
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

11. Back To Top    #11

I redid the CYA test, diluting it halfway with tap water. The readings look like somewhere between 50 and 60, so that would be around 100-120 for CYA?

How does one go about draining an in-ground pool?
    Taylor K-2006C

12. Back To Top    #12

Vacuum to waste or backwash the filter. You need around 60% replacement to get down to 30-40ppm.

Edit....A submersible pump can work also.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

That rainbow lifegard 300 chlorine feeder is the likely cause. Each time you add a tablet of sanatizer you're adding chlorine and CYA. The chlorine is always getting used up but the CYA just keeps building up. The higher it gets the more chlorine you need to do the same job. Good time to stop using it and switch to liquid bleach.

If your CYA is 100-120 you'll need to drain 50-60% of your water and refill to bring it down to around 50. I'm guessing in Texas if the pools out in the sun with no shade that would be a good level.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

14. Back To Top    #14

one thing to add on the bleach you buy. don't get the splashless or scented kind, it causes problems.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

If you read the reference chart showing FC requirements as related to CYA level you will see why your shocking of the pool was not very effective and why alge continues to linger. I had the exact same issue and drained to get CYA in the 40s. Pool now is crystal clear with 5ppm of FC and zero hints of alge. As other have said, pucks will slowly accumulate more CYA getting you to what you have now. Powered shock has the same problem. Most use the rainbow feeder only when out of town for a few days and they cant dose the pool.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

16. Back To Top    #16

Going back to your first post (with yellow algae-like clumps), we know you'll need to SLAM. So if you can exchange a little over 1/2 that water to lower your CYA to around 50-60, then you'll be able to manage the SLAM and also be in a good place with CYA to keep-up with this heat we're having. But it all boils-down to that CYA right now. With your DE filter, you can backwash to waste as noted above, and go down quite low if you have a main drain. If you don't have a drain, then you'll either go in small stages or have to see about borrowing a small submersible pump to expedite the water removal. Once you lower the CYA this time, you won't eve have that problem again as long as you stay away from pucks and bags of shock or only use them when you know it's safe to do so. Good luck!

17. Back To Top    #17

Should I be aiming for a CYA of 50-60 then? Why so high?
    Taylor K-2006C

18. Back To Top    #18

If your pool receives full sun most of the day, a CYA of 50 is quite reasonable in our area. Yes it requires a little more bleach for a SLAM, but once the SLAM is done your FC will hold better near your daily target range. Before the SLAM, if you chose to exchange a bit more water to lower the CYA even more (to use less bleach) that is certainly fine. After the SLAM when you are algae-free, you can always raise the CYA as needed.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

I'm in Wisconsin, full sun, no shade and I'm running 40 and I find that works well for me. CYA is like pH, people have different comfort levels with it. Being in TX I would think you'd want 50 or maybe 60 but it's flexible. The lower your CYA the less bleach you'll use during a SLAM so you can always try to drop it closer to 30 and once you're crystal clear, bump it up. What level you maintain the CYA at will also determine how much bleach you're using daily.

20. Back To Top    #20

I've spent most of the day refilling the pool and am ready to begin the SLAM. About how much bleach would I need to add to SLAM at a CYA of around 50? Is there some kind of conversion rate of bleach to pool size I should be aware of?
    Taylor K-2006C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast