Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unknown major leaking when pump is on... can I fix this myself and where do I begin?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Unknown major leaking when pump is on... can I fix this myself and where do I begin?

I have an 18x36' lazy L inground pool in my backyard. It has a skimmer hole and 3 return jets
    I am using a supermax pump and a sand filter at the moment
    I did the bucket test, and the water remained the same after 24 hours
    however, when I turned the pump on high for a couple of hours, to get more chlorine into the pool, the water level dropped dramatically.

The skimmer line is under ground for 15 feet then goes into my garage for 10 feet. The return line is in the garage for 10 feet before it goes under ground to the 3 returns.
    There doesn't seem to be any water leaking around the pump/filter, so where did the water go, and how can I check for a leak somewhere? Is this something I can fix myself or am I doomed to call in a professional? I have tried reading up on it, but there is no place to find a consistent answer unfortunately.

Thanks!
    Amber
    13K gal, IG, vinyl, 1 HP starite supermax 2 speed pump, 21" Cooper Ranger sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Unknown major leaking when pump is on... can I fix this myself and where do I beg

Where does the backwash line go? Check to see with pump running if any water is coming out

/

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Unknown major leaking when pump is on... can I fix this myself and where do I beg

Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    Where does the backwash line go? Check to see with pump running if any water is coming out

/
    I'm unsure as to what you mean. There are only 2 lines running, one from the filter to the return lines (meets an automatic chlorinator part way through) and the other coming into the pump. The filter itself I don't believe is leaking water as there is nothing around the filter itself especially the amount of water I'm losing (it dropped a good inch or more in the three hours it was running)
    When I do waste, I have to add the flimsy blue hose to it and run it out the garage down the driveway.

I did a dye test around the Jets but nothing significant happened
    13K gal, IG, vinyl, 1 HP starite supermax 2 speed pump, 21" Cooper Ranger sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

How do you backwash this filter? Is there a line from the multiport valve on top of the filter that directs the water to a drain somewhere?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    How do you backwash this filter? Is there a line from the multiport valve on top of the filter that directs the water to a drain somewhere?
    He mentioned using a blue flimsy hose out to the driveway so it sounds like he would have noticed if it was draining out the waste/backwash hose.

16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Could a line be cracked/broken underground? Maybe the system wasn't winterized properly?

The other possibility is the liner is leaking.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by carlos31820 View Post
    He mentioned using a blue flimsy hose out to the driveway so it sounds like he would have noticed if it was draining out the waste/backwash hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for pointing that out for me, missed it.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump