Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I patch a 4' gash in my Intex pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I patch a 4' gash in my Intex pool?

Split from ughhh... dog bit my liner. Zea3
    is it feasible that this patch and repair glue will work on a 4 foot slash in wall of AGP fiber reinforced wall?
    Debbipool
    Above Ground Intex A 18x48 F G01 13 RO
    Ultra Frame
    Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I patch a 4' gash in my Intex pool?

No harm in trying. You should know right away if it is going to stick. I would do one small one over the slash followed up by another bigger one over it.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have heard good things about JB water weld , 6 bucks at home depot...classic jb weld is amazing so wonder how this item would work?
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ta2dwonderwoman View Post
    I have heard good things about JB water weld , 6 bucks at home depot...classic jb weld is amazing so wonder how this item would work?
    JB weld Water IS awesome stuff BUT is not good for a pool liner application due to not being able to get it flat enough to keep it safe from people knocking against it.

The vinyl repair kit is THE chose to fix this.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

A 4ft slash?! 4 ft?!

Absolutely not. No. I'd never even attempt this.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

4 feet in the WALL?
    Absolutely no way!
    There is no way it will hold.. ever!
    21' x 52" Round Above Ground. (Buried 2') AquaPro 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 19" Sand filter, Hayward inline chlorinator.
    Hayward H200 millivolt NG Heater, SunQuest 2 x 2'x10' Solar heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

You would need a some large vinyl patch or find someone who is getting rid of their old Intex due to a similar problem. Get HH-66 vinyl cement. Get at least the 18oz size. This stuff works. I had to do this on mine and it held very well. You will need to patch BOTH sides. Corners of the patch need to be rounded (I didn't do this). The one thing I wished I had done is cut out the gash so its a clean hole as the vinyl in the middle of the gash wants to curl. Mine tore due to not draining the pool below the filter ports. Another thing is to make sure your the area is clean around the area. Also Take your time, don't allow ANY air bubbles. I didn't so I've got leaks, BUT it's holding, quite well. I have leaks, again due to my impatience. I had access to an old Intex liner I hadn't disposed of yet that allowed me to patch.

You can see in the picture below where I patched.
    Pool4.jpg
    Coleman (Intex Clone) 16 Ft Diameter x 4 (more like 3.2 feet), 4800 Gallons. Intex Sand Filter and Pump (2600GPH). Hard Plumbed. Heyward Skimmer and Return.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would advise to NOT do this.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter