Newbie Pool Owner added PhosFree at pool store's recommendation now there is silt...

I wish I would have consulted here first...

I'm a Newbie Pool Owner and I added PhosFree at pool store's recommendation and now there is silt all over the floor of the pool. Pool was crystal clear and after adding the PhosFree it clouded up and in 48 hours there was silt all over the bottom of the pool. It is very fine and turns to cloud when disturbed. I've vaccumed the pool but the silt returns over-night. Any ideas on how to get rid of the silt.

When I had my water tested at the store everything was great except the phosphates which from reading the forums I shouldn't need to worry about if my chlorine was good...which it was.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Bryan

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

It is unfortunate that many times advice given causes other problems..

The first thing we always suspect when folks have issues like yours is that there are chemical imbalances. Pool stores like to say things like you posted, that "everything was great". The question is "great" to what standards. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. I would say order a TF100. The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

The pool store test is a "snapshot" in time, while we diagnose problems with what is called an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). Only two things cause the chlorine levels in a pool to go down, organics in the water (like algae) and the UV rays of the sun. Through the OCLT we can prove/disprove if something unseen is growing in the water.

The other problem is that the pool industry refuses to recognize the connection between CYA/Stabilizer and the ability of chlorine to do it's thing sanitizing the water. others here can give you the scientific details if you want, but lets just say CYA locks the ability of chlorine to sanitize. The key point is that the more CYA you have the more chlorine you need to keep in the pool to keep algae at bay. I took over my pool with a CYA of about 250 (CYA tests above 100 are just a guess, not very specific contrary to what the pool store says). With a CYA of 250 I had to keep my chlorine level at around 20 just to keep algae away. As you can see, if your pool has high CYA levels then the recommendations of the pool store to have your FC at 4 just won't be as "great" as they imply.

We need to see specific test results from your test kit, not the pool store. Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

A little more detail about your pool would help including all the equipment. It is best if you edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply on the 4th of July! I've already learned 10 times more than I did when I first registered on this site this morning. I'm ordering the TF-100 test kit today!

I'll report back with test results when I have them.

Thanks again!

Good job with the signature, thanks!

So, let's start diagnosing your pool while we wait for your test kit. How do you normally care for your pool, meaning what chemicals do you use, in what quantities and how often?

OK, how about this.....

As the biggest problem we see with pools is over-stabilization (too much CYA) how about you take the floater out of the pool. Those pucks are almost half CYA (another thing the pool store doesn't advertise).

Until you get your test kit add one bottle (121oz 8.25%) bleach each day with the the pump running. I use the generic GreatValu brand from WalMart.

A few pucks may not seem like much but they add up quickly!

Took out the pucks and added a couple of gallons of bleach. My chlorine and pH levels are pretty perfect at the moment. I got the test kit and tested for CYA and it came in pretty high (120). Is there a way to get that lower or is it just time.

I still have the silt problem and now I don't seem to be getting good suction and pressure from the jets but my pressure gauge isn't really indicating a problem. It's at 30-40 psi when running at 3050 RPM. Wondering if the phosFree garbage has clogged my filter as I can't locate an obvious leak on the intake side of the pump.

Bryan, are you able to vacuum to waste on your system?

And is your fiter normally that high clean? (Forgive my ignorance but my filter is sand.)

If you can vac to waste, turn off your pump/filter to let te phosfree settle overnight and hen verrrry slowllllly vacuum to waste th next morning.

I believe lanatham at higher levels (that's part of what's in phosfree) may gum up DE so it might be worth breaking down and cleaning your filter.

There are two ways to lower CYA, partial drain and refill or reverse osmosis filtration.

What is the clean pressure on the filter? We recommend cleaning the filter when pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. My guess is that algae is clogging up your filter. Nothing clogs a filter faster than algae. Here is more about cleaning your filter, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters. This is how we kill algae, SLAM Process

High CYA and low FC is a recipe for bacteria and algae. FC is set based on CYA and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. It needs to be kept above minimum at all times to keep the pool sanitary and algae free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.