Rust Leaching Onto Cement Under Natural Fieldstone Coping -- Brand New Pool -- Help!

bonnieboop

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 18, 2015
Concord, MA
My brand new pool (see "under construction"), started getting these rust spots wherever the natural fieldstone got wet -- and the rust is now moving onto the tile. I will contact the PB about it tomorrow, but I'm afraid he's going to give me some chemical and tell me that I'm going to have to scrub the concrete and the tile with a wire brush for the rest of my life. I'm very upset. Anyone seen anything like this before and have a solution? Know what it is and why it's happening? How to stop it from happening? Most the coping is natural fieldstone, with a small part being natural, unpolished granite (which is not having the problem). Pictures below are pool on day 1 (last Wednesday), half filled, cement under coping on day 2 and tile under cement on day 2.

IMG_1195_zpsremn9wnc.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1225_zpsdjtxizad.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1226_zpsnrjkqdit.jpg
[/URL]

Have you tested the area with a vitamin C tablet (just crush some in a nylon , wet and apply to the area for a few minutes)? This will help determine if it is metal.

What is sitting behind the stone coping? It looks like they dug down quite a bit behind the bond-beam. Do you have concrete all along the pool perimeter? Do you have a completed build pic you can post here so that we don't have to switch back & forth between your build thread?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.