Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    23

    Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    I have a 15x30 concrete pool that's probably older than me. It has one suction, the deep end drain. Other than that there is only the skimmer which drops over the side with pvc pipes. The pool was repainted 2 years ago with an expensive epoxy, it cost the previous home owner $4,000. Is there any way for me the get rid of the pipes that drop over the side , such as by busting out a wall and adding a skimmer and a pump outlet? And do it without needing an entirely new paint job, or should I just install a vinyl liner?



  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    46

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    If I'm seeing things right, the skimmer and the return are both "over the edge" PVC piping?

    Hate to be unhelpful, but do you know the brand of that skimmer? It might be just the thing to help resuscitate my pool.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    23

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by EricDu View Post
    If I'm seeing things right, the skimmer and the return are both "over the edge" PVC piping?

    Hate to be unhelpful, but do you know the brand of that skimmer? It might be just the thing to help resuscitate my pool.
    I can look at it when I get home tomorrow. I think there is a serial number on it. But, I hate it! Lol.



  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    23

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai1988 View Post
    I can look at it when I get home tomorrow. I think there is a serial number on it. But, I hate it! Lol.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Also, the skimmer pipe kicks up because of the power of the pump, that is why there is a brick on there.



  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    46

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    Have a look at my pool and you'll understand why I'll be happy to add something like that.
    Repair/Renovate or Remove? - Page 3

    I found the PoolSkim and might order one to try on the deepend return. The deepend return is a foot or more out of the water. I'll be doing some jury-rigging to pipe the return into the water level anyways.

    Seeing as my skimmer is in a bad place, partially lifted out of the water (the whole pool is popped out), and doesn't have a weir, I looked into what was involved with adding a new one. Need to dig, break cement, install/pipe, and re-cement.

    I've seen some Youtube videos of renovations to piping and skimmers that makes me think that with the right contractor damage could be limited to cutting a hole in your nice finish and a hole in the deck behind and to the pump.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai1988 View Post
    Also, the skimmer pipe kicks up because of the power of the pump, that is why there is a brick on there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    23

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    Oh I see where that could help you. Good luck with fixing that. What PoolSkim did you find, can you provide a link?



  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    23

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai1988 View Post
    Oh I see where that could help you. Good luck with fixing that. What PoolSkim did you find, can you provide a link?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never mind I googled it. It may also help my situation as I have an issue with the floating lip on my skimmer, it pops out if the water level is high, then the pump will suck it back in when it kicks on(timer) and it will get cocked and my pump will suck air. There fore if it rains a lot I have to unplug my timer or syphon water out of the pool in order to keep my pump running on schedule. This may or may not work better, will have to look into it.



  8. Back To Top    #8

    TFP Guide

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    tucson, arizona
    Posts
    946

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    I believe Aladdin manufactured this back in the sixties and seventies. Don't know if it's still around

  9. Back To Top    #9

    TFP Guide

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    tucson, arizona
    Posts
    946

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.


  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    23

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    Omg thanks that's it. Now the question becomes, what can I replace it with?



  11. Back To Top    #11
    Sidecarist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Dayton, TN
    Posts
    76

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    I'll admit I'm not an expert, but it's going to take some concrete work no matter what.

    It may be easiest to simply break out one panel of the concrete deck and then use a wet saw to cut the pool side and install a traditional skimmer, or possibly one ment for an above ground pool.

    Another option instead of cutting the wall is drilling it for a suction port and a return port using a core drill. It would minimize the damage to the pool surface. Then you could install something like this. Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

    No way around the concrete deck work though.
    12,000gal Fiberglass In Ground, Pentair 1hp single speed pump, and Pentair 100sq/ft single cartridge filter. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Roof mounted 400ft solar heat loop, Zodiac MX8 Elite cleaner w/leaf canister
    Taylor K-2006-C, Speed Stir, Taylor K-1766 salt test

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    23

    Re: Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarist View Post
    I'll admit I'm not an expert, but it's going to take some concrete work no matter what.

    It may be easiest to simply break out one panel of the concrete deck and then use a wet saw to cut the pool side and install a traditional skimmer, or possibly one ment for an above ground pool.

    Another option instead of cutting the wall is drilling it for a suction port and a return port using a core drill. It would minimize the damage to the pool surface. Then you could install something like this. Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

    No way around the concrete deck work though.
    Fair enough, thanks for the advice. I guess this will happen when the coating, which is only 2 seasons old, starts to deteriorate. Then I will look into redoing plumbing and possibly a vinyl liner.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •