Installing a new skimmer in existing in ground pool.

Jul 3, 2016
Pittsburgh
I have a 15x30 concrete pool that's probably older than me. It has one suction, the deep end drain. Other than that there is only the skimmer which drops over the side with pvc pipes. The pool was repainted 2 years ago with an expensive epoxy, it cost the previous home owner $4,000. Is there any way for me the get rid of the pipes that drop over the side , such as by busting out a wall and adding a skimmer and a pump outlet? And do it without needing an entirely new paint job, or should I just install a vinyl liner?
853f3567563face0ba23bab293415e0a.jpg
984c2dbbaf5522d9644758acabd8cd5b.jpg
986a88f524c0d367d37244d2ffe3be27.jpg
79d5d3c1f8f223528c34c4ccf553b54a.jpg
d72a660ed59d82d4e21d3274d314c4ce.jpg
a93a1b63fcc6f2cad1101b77fd737090.jpg
803001a24264312ab3decb50d885d53e.jpg
68457feb707fbdeba8fe938befc9f301.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at my pool and you'll understand why I'll be happy to add something like that.
Repair/Renovate or Remove? - Page 3

I found the PoolSkim and might order one to try on the deepend return. The deepend return is a foot or more out of the water. I'll be doing some jury-rigging to pipe the return into the water level anyways.

Seeing as my skimmer is in a bad place, partially lifted out of the water (the whole pool is popped out), and doesn't have a weir, I looked into what was involved with adding a new one. Need to dig, break cement, install/pipe, and re-cement.

I've seen some Youtube videos of renovations to piping and skimmers that makes me think that with the right contractor damage could be limited to cutting a hole in your nice finish and a hole in the deck behind and to the pump.

Also, the skimmer pipe kicks up because of the power of the pump, that is why there is a brick on there.

Oh I see where that could help you. Good luck with fixing that. What PoolSkim did you find, can you provide a link?

Never mind I googled it. It may also help my situation as I have an issue with the floating lip on my skimmer, it pops out if the water level is high, then the pump will suck it back in when it kicks on(timer) and it will get cocked and my pump will suck air. There fore if it rains a lot I have to unplug my timer or syphon water out of the pool in order to keep my pump running on schedule. This may or may not work better, will have to look into it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll admit I'm not an expert, but it's going to take some concrete work no matter what.

It may be easiest to simply break out one panel of the concrete deck and then use a wet saw to cut the pool side and install a traditional skimmer, or possibly one ment for an above ground pool.

Another option instead of cutting the wall is drilling it for a suction port and a return port using a core drill. It would minimize the damage to the pool surface. Then you could install something like this. Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

No way around the concrete deck work though.

I'll admit I'm not an expert, but it's going to take some concrete work no matter what.

It may be easiest to simply break out one panel of the concrete deck and then use a wet saw to cut the pool side and install a traditional skimmer, or possibly one ment for an above ground pool.

Another option instead of cutting the wall is drilling it for a suction port and a return port using a core drill. It would minimize the damage to the pool surface. Then you could install something like this. Amazon.com : PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

No way around the concrete deck work though.

Fair enough, thanks for the advice. I guess this will happen when the coating, which is only 2 seasons old, starts to deteriorate. Then I will look into redoing plumbing and possibly a vinyl liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.