Chemicals balanced but still cloudy

May 27, 2014
Millbury, MA
Hi! We purchased our house 3 years ago and never have had any issues with our pool until this year. We have a an in ground vinyl pool approximately 18k gallons with a hi-rate sand filter. We brought a sample of water to the local pool store and they tested for 10 different things all were perfectly in balance. They suggested we try a high concentrate algae remover because it had a little green look to it. That did remove the green but still very cloudy. Tried a clarifier and hocking it with no luck. I read the sand could need to be changed or something could be broke in the filter just not sure we know enough to try taking the filter apart. Before we attempt has anyone else had a similar problem or have any advice?

The first thing you need to do is get your own test kit. I know the Pool $tore will test it for free but.........did it clear your water?

I am willing to bet your CYA (stabilizer in the pucks) is high so your FC (free chlorine) cannot keep up. You are not far from a full fledged algae break out :(

Look in my siggy for the test kit that gives you the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use on a daily bases.

Let us know when your test kit gets there and we can start you on clearing your pool.

Here is some "light" reading to get you started on learning the how and why of TFP:

Pool School - Pool School

Kim:cat:

I'm very new to all things pool but wanted to offer that we were having a similar problem (Cloudy Water) where all of our levels were in range but our water still had just the very slightest cloudiness. We recently had the pool company out to repair a light, so my husband asked him his thoughts. He mentioned our water wasn't circulating properly and adjusted something with our equipment. By later that day and ever since the pool is finally crystal clear! Unfortunately I wasn't there when he made the change, so I'm not positive what he did, but I have noticed the return/overflow from our hot tub into our main pool is stronger/more noticeable, and when I put a hand in front of one of the regular returns they do feel stronger. It's worth checking out if you feel your levels are all good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.