Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter pump losing prime

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Filter pump losing prime

From what I've read on here, my pump is losing its prime? It happened once yesterday. We noticed one of the returns was gurgling loudly. The water in the pump basket was swirling like a hurricane. We shut the system off and took off the lid. The gasket (? black rubber ring) looked perfect - in place and no crimps. We tightened it back, and all ran fine for the rest of the evening.

This morning, the pool came on at high speed as usual. I checked the pump basket - looked great (couldn't tell it had water in it). When it shifted to low speed, the same thing happened as last evening.

Should I do the remove the lid thing to prime it again? Is there a better way? Leave it alone til I can call my PB tomorrow (rather not bother him on a holiday)? Or best yet, is it an easy fix I can do?

Thanks!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter pump losing prime

When you inspected basket the O-ring, did you also go ahead and give it a new coating of lube as well just in case?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

As long as your water lv is high enough it sounds like your weir doors are getting stuck in your skimmers. They are the little flapper in your skimmer that acts like a door.

Ask if ya have any questions.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Splash, no I didn't do the lube coating. I didn't know to. What do I use? Something special?

RedBlue, the pool water level is good. I'll have to check the weir doors. The skimmer baskets are clean. Do I check the weir doors just by observing?

In the mean time what should I do - or just nothing?
    Thanks!
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If your pump is grabbing air go to the skimmers and see if you hear a gargling sound. Open up the skimmer lid and see if the skimmer is suckling all the water down. If you look at the weir door you should notice it's stuck in an upwards position blocking proper water flow to the skimmer.

Basically check your weir doors for anything jamming it or stopping it from free movement. By hand make sure it goes up and all the way flat against the skimmer with ease.

Also make sure there are not any floating or pool noodles or a Polaris cleaner line right in front of the skimmer restrictions water flow to the skimmer.

6. Back To Top    #6

What do I use? Something special?
    You can use any silicone-based lube designed for pool/water use (i.e. Magic Lube). Just never use any petroleum jellies or stuff you would normally use around the house.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Thanks Pat. I will get some Magic Lube. Since you asked if I had used one, it's a good idea to put lube on those black rings when doing checks, etc.

I appreciate your time to help me out! I'll be glad when my learning curve levels off a bit more. I wasn't sure if that was something serious or not!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by RedBluePool View Post
    If your pump is grabbing air go to the skimmers and see if you hear a gargling sound. Open up the skimmer lid and see if the skimmer is suckling all the water down. If you look at the weir door you should notice it's stuck in an upwards position blocking proper water flow to the skimmer.

Basically check your weir doors for anything jamming it or stopping it from free movement. By hand make sure it goes up and all the way flat against the skimmer with ease.

Also make sure there are not any floating or pool noodles or a Polaris cleaner line right in front of the skimmer restrictions water flow to the skimmer.

RedBlue, thank you! This is very helpful. I had no clue to connect the skimmers or the flap doors (weir doors) to the water swirling hurricane going on in the filter pump basket! I guess that was a "duh" thing for most people but not for me. You told me exactly what to check in terms an old lady could understand!! So, I'm 99% sure it was the dog's stick getting stuck in there that caused the problem. So far it has happened 3 times. The first time, I can't say if the stick was in there or not since I didn't connect the skimmers with the pump basket. But we've been playing a lot with my granddog in the pool throwing him his stick (a sawed off broom handle). After your post, I checked and there it was in the skimmer. I told the guys to be sure to get the stick out of the pool when they got out. The next morning, the same thing happened when the pool came on. Yep, there was the stick again. I threw it away. So far so good. Willie, my granddog will have to play stick-fetch just with grandma!!! I won't forget. Keeping your post for future steps on how and what to check!

Greatly appreciate your time!
    Suz