New Pool Owner! Help!

Jul 4, 2016
OWOSSO MI
I am living in my mom's house (she has Dementia), so I am unable to get too much information. It is 18 x 36. It was built around 1984 ish. It is a vinyl liner, in a small town, with most pool businesses that have gone out of business. I can't get the chlorine to register when I test it, but the water is crystal clear, and it looks great! I have been putting in about a gallon a day. I would guess about 30K gallons, but I don't know. It is inground and I am quite sure it is a sand filter system.
There is a hot tub business that will test water, and then recommend TONS of different things to buy. I would love advice from a swimming pool person. Maybe hot tub and pools are the same? I don't know. I have never cared for a pool. Thank you for any help!

I am living in my mom's house (she has Dementia), so I am unable to get too much information. It is 18 x 36. It was built around 1984 ish. It is a vinyl liner, in a small town, with most pool businesses that have gone out of business. I can't get the chlorine to register when I test it, but the water is crystal clear, and it looks great! I have been putting in about a gallon a day. I would guess about 30K gallons, but I don't know. It is inground and I am quite sure it is a sand filter system.
There is a hot tub business that will test water, and then recommend TONS of different things to buy. I would love advice from a swimming pool person. Maybe hot tub and pools are the same? I don't know. I have never cared for a pool. Thank you for any help!

Welcome to TFP :)

The first piece of advice we can give is to get your own test kit and to start reading in pool school. We wouldn't advise having the water tested at the store. You usually can find everything you need to add to the pool at a local grocery and big box stores. Check out the links below.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

^^ I would agree. :) I also recommend the TF-100 test kit. It may seem like an expense right now, but that test kit, and the accurate results you receive from it, will probably save you much more money over the season just by doing things properly on your own without those ridiculous pool store chemicals. Nice to have you with us. Have a nice day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.