sjconley - Greetings from NEO

Jul 3, 2016
Akron, OH
Greetings everyone! ;)

Just setup my first "real" pool (week ago) that will require chemicals and maintenance. Since it's only 12'x30", I didn't think it was going to be too big of a deal. That is, of course until the first time I added chlorine -- and shortly thereafter my daughter says "Mom, why is the pool green!?"
Hmm... that's a very good question.

I've spent several hours over the past week reading various sites (& watching videos), trying to wrap my brain around just what I've gotten myself into with this... LOL. Turns out the lovely green tint was most likely excess iron because we have well water. Well, I think I've got a handle on that aspect. I'm all in with using the TFPC or BBB method but finding details about the well water aspect has been somewhat challenging. I've been back and forth to WalMart 3 or 4 times just trying to take inventory of the multitude of chemicals they carry vs what I really need. I have the basics on hand (bleach, borax and baking soda) but knowing what to do with them (& when) is what I've been trying to figure out. :confused: There's a lot of conflicting information but one thing I've read again and again is to avoid most of the chemicals out there. Had I not done some reading before going to the store I probably would have bought most of them (assuming I would need them).

Then I was trying to figure out if the test kit that I bought (HTH 6 way) was too much or not enough or actually good enough. As it stands right now, the water is pretty clear but there are some particles on the bottom that need to be vacuumed up. I ended up ordering a vacuum but it won't be in until Friday. I'm guessing if we swim in it before then, the stuff will settle back down once the water is still again.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here. I have much to learn but at least now I feel that if I need an answer for something, someone here on the forum can probably point me in the right direction.

Happy 4th!
Sandy

Hi, welcome to TFP! The 6 way kit is a good start, but it will run out of reagents fairly quickly. A TF 50 from TF Testkits is a better value. Be careful and check the labels on the pool products you buy. Make sure they do not list copper or minerals as an ingredient. Many of the HTH products contain copper. If you have iron in your well water you should use a sequestrant to prevent the iron from oxidizing and falling out of solution. You will end up with a brown mess when that happens. Sequestrant needs to be added on a regular basis since it breaks down with chlorine exposure.

For more information about pool chemistry read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Feel free to start a thread for any specific questions you may have. Enjoy your new pool!