Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What, me worry? (aka Spider Gasket insurance)

1. Back To Top    #1

What, me worry? (aka Spider Gasket insurance)

I was searching for posts on leaks and noticed an awful lot of posts about leaking spider gaskets. I have had my fair share of spider gasket leaks, so thought I would post a pic of this simple 'improvement' I came up with this year.

xRg4AL2.jpg
    No more worrying about wasting my water thru a spider gasket leak!
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What, me worry? (aka Spider Gasket insurance)

Is that an added flat gasket under the multi port valve?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure what you mean. The improvement was a ball union valve on the waste port for redundancy.
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

That's a nice bandaid and all but if the spider gasket gets bad enough your water from the pump can bypass the filter or it can even cause sand to blowback into your pool. I wouldn't rely on that for to long.

5. Back To Top    #5

My spider gasket and multiport valve are brand new. The ball valve is not a bandaid, it is redundancy against a blown gasket dumping pool water out the waste port. But if we are talking about reliability, I would not rely on the spider gasket nearly as long as I would rely on a ball valve.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

And that's why i have a cartridge filter. Easy to clean very efficient, lets more water to squeeze thru so your pump can pump as much gpm as it can. My filter doesn't have a multiport and it is rated to let 150gpm of water thru.
    40k Gallon Grecian true L Gunite Pool/Spa. Clean clear plus 520 cartridge. IntelliFlow VS-3050. Polaris booster pump w/ Polaris 360 cleaner. Silencer 1 1/2 hp Blower. Aqualink RS8 w/ Iaqualink 2.0 upgrade kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

That is a nice fix. Another thing you can do to help your spider gasket is to only turn the lever in one direction every time you need to turn it. I even went so far as to draw an arrow on it just in case someone else needs to turn it.

I LOVE my sand filter! It is SO much easier to take care of than a cartridge filter. I really like the fact I can do so much more with it like vacuum to waste where you cannot on a cartridge filter.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

The clear tubing is cool in order to better see the discharged dirt... Great idea IMHO!!
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good idea on drawing the arrow, I'll do that too. I love the clear PVC pipe. The dome on the sand filter is clear also. Really helps let you see what is happening in your pump/filter system.