Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Milky Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Milky Water

Can't seem to clear my pool water. Had some iron staining and used Stain Free made by Natural Chemistry. Worked great. Waited a week and shocked the pool. Been cloudy ever since. I had the water tested and found phosphate. Used a product to remove that. Still cloudy. Was using a Waterway cartridge filter. Been running it 24x7 for 3 weeks. Still cloudy. Pool dealer gave me a DE filter to try. Been running that for 2 days. Still cloudy. Have tried clarifier. With no luck. The chemistry is perfect. My pool is 35000 gallons. Any help would be great.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Milky Water

Welcome to the forum.

Cloudy water tells us your chemistry is not perfect. Pool water chemistry is what we teach but you'll have to help us by providing a complete set of test results like this

pH =
    FC =
    CC =
    TA =
    CH =
    CYA =

Pool store testing won't work.....it's bogus.. You must be willing to invest in one of the two test kits we suggest and then willing to learn what we teach. It ends up quite simple but the beginning is reporting your own test results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ph=7.2
    FC= 3ppm
    TA= 80
    CYA=50
    not sure what CC and CH are?
    L shape liner pool. 35000 gallons. Waterway 475 square foot cartridge type filter. 2 hp Hayward Super Pump. Pentair 250,000 but heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave
    I have an HTH 6 way test kit. What should I be using?
    L shape liner pool. 35000 gallons. Waterway 475 square foot cartridge type filter. 2 hp Hayward Super Pump. Pentair 250,000 but heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The two most accurate ones are found in Pool School - test kits compared.

CC's are combined chloramines and I don't think your test kit tests for them.

CH is Calcium Hardness and not really very relevant to vinyl pools unless it is quite high.

How are you chlorinating your pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I am using a chlorinator. Holds 11 3" tabs.

- - - Updated - - -

I also shock with a product called Austins Pool Tech. It is 12% chlorine bleach.

7. Back To Top    #7

Not sure if it matters, but the chlorinator is a Pentair model 320 inline type.

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool Brite chlorinating tablets.
    99% Trichloro- Triazinetrione
    1% Other ingredients.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

HI there

It sounds like you've got something in there eating your chlorine and just waiting to turn your water green. With CYA of 50 and FC of 3, your chlorine is too low. To clear up algae, we follow a process we call SLAM

Shock
    Level
    And
    Maintain

The amount of chlorine you need is dependent upon your CYA number and you are constantly adding CYA by using those pucks

Here are some links to get you started

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi
    Have shocked the pool a few times to 10+ ppm and no luck. Still cloudy water. Having a grad party this weekend. Desperate for answers.

- - - Updated - - -

Also,been using pucks for 13 years. Never an issue. Living in the north I get a good amount of water turn over from rain and snow. Every season I probably change out at least 1/3 of my total water volume.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The SLAM article above should help you out. It's a process, not a one time addition of "shock."

Shock level for 50 cya would be 20FC. And with CYA at 50 your FC shouldn't drop below 4 or you have an invitation for an algae party.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

12. Back To Top    #12

The more chlorine I add the cloudier it gets.