Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar covers are awesome.

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar covers are awesome.

So I have been running my pump for a bit over 2 weeks now due to water being a bit hazy and not crystal clear. I decided to buy a solar cover and installed it yesterday. This morning l look under and the pool is crystal clear. I think the magic clearing fairy lives under there but she does not want to be seen when he is doing work. I don't get it. Everything was balanced before and it still is but the water would pick up a slight murkiness. So maybe for some people out there that did it all and still are not happy with the water, try a solar cover. I was always against them thinking that will increase my chemical demand due to water temp being higher. Not true at all.
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar covers are awesome.

Your first order of buisness would be to buy one of the recommended test kits.
    you cannot balance your water properly with test strips.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Covers don't encourage nor discourage algae. Maintaining or not maintaining a proper FC based on your CYA level is the main determining factor. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I used up my Taylor and I have another K2006 coming in the mail sometime this week. All I am saying is that my numbers were right for 2 weeks now but I had slightly cloudy water. I slammed until I was losing only the correct amount of chlorine overnight and then stabilized my levels. It was not until I covered the pool that the next day the water was sparkling. Now it could have something to do with evaporation and also debris like bird pool or bugs not landing in the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

It could also be coincidental too.
    Just saying.
    I dont use a cover. I maintain my pool yearroumd5. For me its eaiser. I shut my swg down when the water temp gets too cold for it to qork then use bleach.

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh I am sure it was just coincidence since I opened my pool in mid June due to having to go on vacation so it just needed lots of shock to keep it at shock level until I reached breakthrough and passed the oclt. Now it's crystal clear and all levels are good. But it did happen overnight with cover on.