Putting rocks around Above ground pool

Jul 4, 2016
CT
Hi there!
Brand new pool owner of a 24 foot round above ground pool. The pool company that installed our pool suggested putting down plastic around the pool and securing it with tape before we put our rock down. What kind of plastic do we use as well as what kind of tape? I tried calling back the pool company but I received two different answers so any help would be appreciated, as one person told me to leave the Tape on to keep the pool wall sealed from water spilling over the sides, and one person told me to take the tape off as it was just there to hold the plastic in place. I have also read that rubber roofing flashing also works well to form a barrier against the rocks penetrating the pool? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you are putting regular, chipped marble or river pebbles around your pool as most people do, these small stones are not going to penetrate the walls of the pool. If they were, a little plastic certainly wouldn't stop them from puncturing a steel wall! The whole point of adding the stone is to promote drainage so water doesn't collect at the bottom rails from rain or splashout. If you add plastic, you will be holding water in place. If no water gets behind it then its fine, but if water does get behind the plastic then it has no where to go and the ground will stay damp.

I don't have any plastic under my brick around my pool. I used brick since I had it on hand, and I haven't had any problems with water build up.

I put a tarp under my rock the first year, but since it was waterproof, rain and splashout pooled up in the rocks and got nasty. I ended up poking holes in it to let the water drain.

The next year I took it up and replaced it with water.permeable landscaping liner. It has worked perfectly.

Thanks everyone! Very helpful! But another quick question....do we cover the copper wire that extends from the pool up right to the filter with the rock, as I'm afraid someone is going to trip on it. I stepped on it lately just a few moments ago I hope it didn't do any harm!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone! Very helpful! But another quick question....do we cover the copper wire that extends from the pool up right to the filter with the rock, as I'm afraid someone is going to trip on it. I stepped on it lately just a few moments ago I hope it didn't do any harm!

Thats your bond wire. As long as your inspector has seen it, you can cover it with rock. You are not going to damage it.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.