Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dumb question

1. Back To Top    #1

dumb question

My chlorine levels are off the charts because I slammed the pool and was wondering how to check the chlorine since it is reading above 10? My water is cloudy atm but I think I am on the right track now due to gray sand looking debris at the bottom of my pool that I vacuumed out yesterday. I never got that before so I think I slammed it correctly this time. I also bought a proper test kit! Taylor Technologies K-2005 - DPD Complete Chlorine Kit that I can test for everything.
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    635t Intex filter (cartridge)
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dumb question

Unfortunately, the K-2005 doesn't have what you need to test FC over 10. You need the FAS-DPD portion as seen HERE. By adding the FAS-DPD to your current K-2005, you essentially turn that kit into a K-2006 which is one of the TFP recommended test kits.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Also, don't forget that SLaMming is not a one time thing. The M is for maintain. Once you get the FC to the proper level for your CYA, you need to test and redose as needed to keep it up there. You keep doing that until you pass the 3 tests.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

okay but isn't there a way to dilute and multiply? I guess that is what I should have asked
    Total Noob!
    Spring Hill, FL.
    5455 gal AG Vinyl pool
    635t Intex filter (cartridge)
    Krystal Clear 7110 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It would not be very accurate.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

mdsmitty,

What you are doing is tossing chlorine in the pool but you are not SLAMming. Your algae will come right back.

Your K-2005 kit needs the FAS/DPD chlorine test purchased seperately and then you will be able to SLAM properly. You can not do it with your current kit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School