DE enters pool on pump start up (but only when on low).

Hi there - great forum here. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have one of the simple model Hayward DE filters (bump on top, fingers inside and no multi port). I run it with a 1.5 HP Pentair dual speed pump from a single skimmer to a single return jet. It's an above ground pool.

I've found that when I turn my pump on if it is set to high, everything is normal. When I set it to low and turn it on I can see a dirty cloud coming out of the return vent. It's a mix of white (I assume the DE powder) and chunks of sediment. If I set it to high to turn on and switch to low without stopping it's fine.

I've broken down the filter twice and I don't see any damage anywhere. I think somehow the filter needs a certain pressure to seal and work properly. My pressure readings are basically 0 when on low, 10 when on high and 20 on high running thru 2 4x20 passive solar.

I've been running it mostly on low for 1.5 seasons without an issue. Any ideas on what to look for the next time I break it down? Could I be doing something wrong when putting the top back that misaligned it? I'm at a loss...

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.