Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing to super-shock for mustard algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing to super-shock for mustard algae

Having passed my OCLT (FINALLY) I'm prepared to head up to Mustard Shock level. I'll get this done by 9AM today. My issue now is I expect heavy rain/thunderstorms to roll in later tonight around 11PM - 1AM. If I carry my Mustard Shock level through to this event, will it mess me up if I get a real dumper? Should I shock a little OVER mustard algae in case it rains really good? I'm worried about the high chlorine level and my liner.

Thanks !
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preparing to super-shock for mustard algae

If it were me, I would go a bit high and not worry about the liner. An option would be to be prepared to pump it down and top up with chlorine before bed, or if there's an overflow, just top it up before bed. It has to rain an awful lot to make a difference, what range of precip is predicted?
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

Up to an inch?
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

if your average depth were, say, 60", that's around 1.7% or around 0.5 ppm FC. I'd say go get a good sleep so you can recover from any July 4 celebrations!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Super shock added with CYA value rounded up to be safe. Let the nuking begin !

Pool toys, tools, and robot to be introduced to pool in a hour or two after the shock has circulated and mixed. SWG set to 40% to maintain what I added.
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
    Super shock added with CYA value rounded up to be safe. Let the nuking begin !

Pool toys, tools, and robot to be introduced to pool in a hour or two after the shock has circulated and mixed. SWG set to 40% to maintain what I added.
    Did you mustard algae go away? I think that I possibly have the same issue. My water passes the OCLT and is clear, but I still have a layer of fine dust that keeps accumulating on the bottom and in the seams and easily poofs up into a cloud when brushed. No amount of vacuuming or filtering seems to get rid of it, It just keeps returning within a few hours of vacuuming or brushing.

Thanks,
    cruiser310