Howdy from Dallas

May 9, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hi Folks,
Thanks to Jason and the contributors for an excellent site. Within 20 mins of registering, I quickly diagnosed my pool's issue(s) and am on my way to headache-free ownership.

A little background. I bought my current home in Dec-2002 and had never owned a pool before. Not only is this my first pool, its also a BFP (Big Freekin' Pool) for backyard installations...... 16' x 48' with a 9.5' deep end. Total water volume: 45,000 gallons. The pool was installed ~1979 and was made large to accommodate the then-owner's hatred of yard care..... Not the best logic, but I guess it worked for them.

I must admit that I tested the water "intermittently" at best. and the results were obvious. Every summer I had a few "good" days when the water would go into remission* and look OK.... Mostly I fought algae cloudy water.

Well....... Fast forward the movie 2009. This year I decided to get ahead of my pool and get it ready for prime time. I bought a DPD test kit and began to test away.

Water condition: Algae on all surfaces and water was crystal clear.

Test results:
FC: 3
CC: 3
pH: 7.5
TA: 120
CH: 750
CYA: 125

Yep... The CH and CYA were off the scale. No wonder since I had been shocking with Power Power Plus over the years :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
I must admit I was brainwashed since I worked at the "L" store in high-school so please don't hold that against me.

After reading about the BBB method and harking back to my high-school chemistry, it all became clear that the BBB method should work..... Even for a BFP.

Suffice it to say, I had to drain the pool (last week) and start over with fresh water. While drained, I fixed some rough spots in the aging plaster and had the pump seals replaced. As I type, I am re-filling the pool and will use the startup method in Pool School.

I will post results as they come in.

Thanks again for the depth of info here!

* Remission from algae attack

Butterfly said:
Hi Scott and welcome to the forum :wave:

That is a huge pool!

Scott C said:
This year I decided to get ahead of my pool .......
and TFP will help you stay there!

When you get some time can we have some pix? :-D

No problem. I'm out for a few days but will post back this weekend.

Thus far, I've finished refilling the pool (three days) and added baking soda to raise alkalinity. The Pool Calc was right on indicating I needed 30# of baking soda to hit the target number.

I plan on ordering a Liquidator so I can move over to the BBB method with less hassle.

Thanks again, folks. I will post pics later.