Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible pool leak. Losing water.

1. Back To Top    #1

Possible pool leak. Losing water.

Hi, I have an inground pool made on concrete with gunite( I think) that seems to be losing a lot of water. It is about 18x36, 22,000 gallons in the San Francisco Bay Area. Air temperature has been between 85-95 degrees during the days and about 65 at night. It is often windy. Pool is covered each night. I lost 1 inch of water over 5 days. Is it possible to evaporate that fast or could there be a leak in one of the underground lines? There are no visible leaks on the surface. Pool used daily. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possible pool leak. Losing water.

Welcome to TFP!

1/8-1/4" per day is normal. You can do a bucket test to verify, more here, Pool School - Leak Detection
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

What is the humidity like there? On days where the humidity is low, there is plenty of room in the atmosphere for water vapor to take up space. The water will evaporate at a much higher rate than days when it is extremely humid. With that being said, an inch over 5 days is about normal.
    22,000 gal Cardinal Oasis 36x18 IG Vinyl
    Pentair IC40 SWG Sand Filter 1 1/2Hp Superflo pump Single Speed 3450 RPM
    Build date 9/25/15
    Taylor K-2006 with Salinity
    City water for fill

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice. This site is great! We have low humidity here, usually 30-50%. I am going to try the bucket test next and get back to you if I have further questions. Thanks!