Acid usage and CYA level in SWG pool

Feb 17, 2014
Barbados
I recently installed a Hayward SWG.
It recommends CYA level of 30-50.
I see that the Pool School recommends a much higher CYA of 70-80.

I have used a five gallon drum of acid in 6 weeks which is almost a pint a day.
I have now gone with TFP advice and ..

Upped the CYA.
Got TA in recommended range.
Will increase PH from 7.2/3 to 7.6 tomorrow I hope!.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much acid I should be using?

At the end of my southern hemisphere swim season, I was using about 34 ounces (1 litre) per week and my plaster was more mature than yours is now. The upward creep of pH is coming from several things related to aeration - swimming, splashing, weather, water circulating, bubbles from the SWC coming up from the returns). It's also coming from your plaster as it continues to cure, and this part will slow down.

Keeping TA down (60/70 or even a bit less) will help reduce the speed of pH increase, making additions less frequent.

After the plaster is fully cured, you will very likely find a sweet spot for pH and TA where your acid additions are much less than they are now. When my plaster was young, I was using a lot more acid than I was by the end of the swimming season. At the same age as yours, I was using around 2 litres a week. I also learned to keep my pH at the upper end of the recommended range, which seemed to require less acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.