Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Tank Leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Tank Leaking

I have discovered a pinhole in the sand tank of my Aquaguard Sand filter (on the seam). I tried to patch it, but it is still leaking. The multiport valves are fine. My question is do I have to keep the same brand tank when replacing it to work with the valves or can I buy say a Haywood tank and use the valves I have?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter Tank Leaking

Hello and welcome to TFP! Generally, the multiport valve on a filter is designed to fit with that filter. You mention "valves" above more than once. To make sure we're speaking about the same issue, is there any chance you could post a picture of your set-up?

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am guessing that is what the settings with a handle on the top are called. Here is a pic of the whole system from the companies website. The seams on the tank run down the sides, but the part with the handle that sits on top for backwash, filter, etc is fine. Im just worried that the tank only lasted 3 years and maybe there is a better product of tank to replace only.
    Sand Filter.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Where on the tank is it leaking?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

the seam; which are directly on each side. my leak is to the left of the brand sticker about 2 inches under the clamp that connects the top to the tank
    30' Round Above ground pool; clorhine
    Aquaguard 24" Sand filter system; 6 gears
    1HP pump (brand unknown)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would ask the company to replace it or give you partial credit. It cannot be successfully repaired and 3 years is not normal.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School