Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So glad I ran across Trouble Free Pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Ipava, IL

So glad I ran across Trouble Free Pool.

I had bought a house that had an above ground pool that had sat uncovered and unused for 3 years. Had a pool place come to help me get it opened and the filter going. It has a bottom drain and piping underground. I knew nothing about any of it let alone how to get the filter going. Well they dumped 10 gallons of chlorine in it and got the filter going and left. I was so excited that it started looking a little blue and the filter worked. Well that was back May 31st and $266. It has been one big nightmare and a lot of money. I would take my water sample in and they never let me know anything about water alkalinity (which was off the wall) or cyanuric acid (which I had none). They just wanted to keep selling me gallons and gallons of chlorine which was $22.50 for 5 gallons. Also a $40 bottle of revive that did nothing either. So I have been reading on here and have been working on getting my alkalinity down. It was down to 225 this morning and I added another quart of Muriatic Acid. Have added some stabilizer several times. Thinking I still may end up needed more yet. I have learnt so much on here reading post including about different shocks affecting different things. Right now I am sooooo excited to say that I finally seen the design on the floor of the pool today and the bottom drain for the 1st time. 😊 So thank you sooo much for your sight. I have spent hours reading and learning on my own and staying away from the pool stores who were just using test strips also when I took a water sample in...
    13,600 gallon above ground vinyl liner with a bottom drain.Hayward sand filter with a 1 hp Dynamo pump. Taylor 2006 test kit. New owner of a pool that had sat for 3 years uncovered. Wow! Has been a nightmare but getting there. Phid

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: So glad I ran across Trouble Free Pool.

Welcome Phid- we're glad you found us also!

I see you obtained one of our recommended test kits -good job! That is the thing that is going to cure your pool woes the best!
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: So glad I ran across Trouble Free Pool.

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach