New Zeolite sand and filter psi is 3. !???

Jul 3, 2016
Victoria, Tx
24,000 gal in ground pool with Pentair Triton II TR 60 sand filter, 1 hp pump with 2" pvc plumbing.
We have had problems after problem with this pump and filter.
Our pump went out, took 4 days to replace ordering the pump. The infusion plate was also replaced.
NOTE: there was a 3/4 hp pump, although the I'd plate says it was a 1 hp system, so we put it back to what it was.
From this point we never got the tank psi back up to 10.
The Triton II TR 60 is a 2012 and we have no record from previous owner of home that the sand was ever changed.
We were told that older sand that is let to sit for several days could start channeling.
SO, we changed out the sand, we went to the Zeolite sand and we still have low filter tank psi (3).
We now have a GREEN POOL.
This is frustrating, the circulation is good, everything inside the filter is OK, the multi port valve is not leaking, the skimmer is working fine.
Question: Is the low (3 psi) a real issue?
I am currently bringing my ph level back down to 7.2 so I can start a shock.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Agree re: putting a new gauge on it - cheap to find that part out. A few comments added below...

24,000 gal in ground pool with Pentair Triton II TR 60 sand filter, 1 hp pump with 2" pvc plumbing.
We have had problems after problem with this pump and filter.
Our pump went out, took 4 days to replace ordering the pump. The infusion plate was also replaced.
NOTE: there was a 3/4 hp pump, although the I'd plate says it was a 1 hp system, so we put it back to what it was.
From this point we never got the tank psi back up to 10.
The Triton II TR 60 is a 2012 and we have no record from previous owner of home that the sand was ever changed.
We were told that older sand that is let to sit for several days could start channeling.
- that is not true, sand usually doesn't need to be changed
SO, we changed out the sand, we went to the Zeolite sand and we still have low filter tank psi (3).
We now have a GREEN POOL.
- if the pool was not circulated manually during the breakdown, that could have allowed the algae to get started
This is frustrating, the circulation is good, everything inside the filter is OK, the multi port valve is not leaking, the skimmer is working fine.
Question: Is the low (3 psi) a real issue?
I am currently bringing my ph level back down to 7.2 so I can start a shock.
- follow this TFPC procedure to the letter, and you'll end up with a safe, sparkly pool: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.