Porcupines destroying solar cover reel

I've been a member since summer of 2014, and it was a shorting pool pump that brought me to TFP. The cause was a garter snake that had crawled into the vent of the motor when the pool pump was shut off for the night. On startup, snake was jerky, and pump was kaput until I could clear it.
My IGP is in a rural location, and once again I'm having a problem with animals. This time it's porcupines - more than one, how many I don't know.
They started to chew though the straps that connected the solar cover to the reel. Then they progressed to the reel itself. It's white resin, and is being devoured by gnawing huge chunks out of it. Both crank handles have been gnawed down to nubs, and the bottoms of the stands themselves are pretty well gone. They must be swallowing the stuff because there isn't much on the ground in the morning. The crunching noise at night wakes us up.
I've tried hot pepper, coyote urine, and trapping in a Havahart trap. Nothing works.
Has anyone experienced this, and how have you solved the problem?
Thanks for any help you may give.

Have a Happy 4th of July. Remember our troops !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.